- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Explain about forecasting in financial management.
The term forecasting refers to predication of future with the given circumstances. In forecasting, both macro and micro economic factors will be considered. Financial forecasting tells about company’s future action.
Financial forecasting made through projected financial statements (income statements, balance sheets and cash flows). It helps to make decisions like capital investments, requirement of working capital, funds requirement etc.
Features of forecasting include −
- Relates to future events.
- Depends on historical and current events.
- Predication of future events.
- Forecasting techniques.
Quantitative and qualitative techniques are two types of financial forecasting techniques, which are explained below in detail.
- Casual methods.
- Simple linear and multiple regression.
- Days sales technique.
- Percentage of sales technique.
- Time series methods.
- Financial statements.
- Projected cash flow and fund flow statements.
- Projected income statements and balance sheets.
- Executive opinions.
- Market research.
- Delphi method.
- Reference class forecasting.
- Scenario writing.
- Sales force polling.
Advantages of forecasting include −
- Valuable insight.
- Learn from the past.
- Decrease cost.
Disadvantages of forecasting include −
- Not accurate.
- Time consuming.
- Resource intensive.
- Related Articles
- Explain about various financial statements in financial management.
- Explain about modelling in financial management.
- Explain about factoring in financial management.
- Explain about cash flows in financial management.
- Explain about sensitivity analysis in financial management.
- Explain about venture capital in financial management.
- Explain about recourse factoring in financial management.
- Explain about Non - recourse factoring in financial management.
- Write about Financial breakeven in financial management.
- Financial Forecasting vs. Financial Planning
- Explain about financial strategy.
- Explain about financial system in India.
- Write about cost of capital in financial management.
- Explain the importance of financial management.
- Explain Earnings per share (EPS) in financial management.