- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Discuss the history of MySQL
MySQL is an open source SQL (structured query language) database management system. It is a system that helps store and manage data efficiently. Database generally stores data in a structured fashion.
Timeline of MySQL
- Unireg, which is the code base of MySQL, was started in 1981.
- MySQL was founded in 1995 in Sweden.
- In 2000, MySQL went open source, so it could be accessed and used by all.
- In the year 2001, Marten Mickos was elected as the CEO of MySQL.
- In the year 2002, MySQL launched its headquarters in USA, in addition to Sweden headquarters.
- In 2003, MySQL entered into a partnership with SAP, and many features were developed in MySQL keeping SAP in mind.
- In 2005, MySQL launched MySQL Network. Oracle purchased Innobase, which is the backend of MySQL's InnoDB storage.
- In 2008, MySQL was acquired by Sun Microsystems.
- In 2009, Sun Microsystems and Oracle entered intoa definitive agreement under which Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems.
Let us now understand the history of MySQL:
- The mSQL database system was designed to connect the data that is stored in tables using customized fast low level (ISAM) routines.
- ISAM refers to indexed sequential access method, which is a file management system. It is a technique that helps access records in the tables sequentially, i.e in the same order in which the records were entered into the table, or randomly with the help of an index. Every index can be used to define a different order for the records in the table.
- ISAM was originally developed by IBM before the development of VSAM (Virtual Storage Access Method) and relational databases.
- When mSQL was tested to see its efficiency, it was observed that mSQL was not quick enough or flexible enough for the requirements in hand.
- MySQL was initially created for personal usage from mSQL based on the low-level language ISAM.
- MySQL has been named after co-founder Monty Widenius’s daughter- My. The logo, a dolphin is known as ‘Sakila’.
Kickstart Your Career
Get certified by completing the courseGet Started