- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Differentiate between floating currency exchange rate and fixed currency exchange rate
People who do business internationally should be aware of exchange rates and how they work exactly. Let’s try to understand about floating currency exchange rate and fixed currency exchange rate.
Floating currency exchange rate
Floating currency exchange rate depends on demand and supply. If demand for currency is high then value increases and if demand for currency is low then value decreases. This exchange rate affects a country’s trade position internationally.
Advantages of the floating currency exchange rate are as follows −
- Change of internal policy.
- Large reserves are not needed.
- Central bank has less power.
Disadvantages of the floating currency exchange rate are as follows −
- Volatility is high.
- Exchange rate risk is high.
Fixed currency exchange rate
Fixed currency exchange rates are maintained by the central bank and these are also called pegged rates. These are found mainly in the Middle East and Africa. Central bank links domestic currency to another country’s currency and makes sure the rate will not change.
Most countries peg their currency to US $, some may peg to EURO etc. central intervene and keep foreign reserves at high level. These rates are used to adjust market fluctuations. Release or absorption of funds in or out is powered by the central bank. Maintaining a certain level of foreign reserves is important in managing.
Advantages of the fixed currency exchange rate are as follows −
- Stable currency value.
- Lower inflation rate.
- Encourages investment.
- Rate is maintained by the central bank.
Disadvantages of the fixed currency exchange rate are as follows −
- Central bank must intervene very often.
- No monetary independence.
- Sometimes expensive to maintain.
- Related Articles
- Python Get the real time currency exchange rate?
- What is the difference between floating currency and fixed currency?
- Determination Of The Exchange Rate
- Compare fixed interest rate and floating interest rate
- Differentiate between transaction and exchange
- Differentiate between rate of interest and internal rate of return.
- Differentiate between fixed interest rates and floating interest rates.
- Difference between Variable and Fixed Rate Student Loans
- Difference between Cryptocurrency Wallet and Exchange
- Difference between Bit Rate and Baud Rate
- Differentiate between discounted Net present value and Internal rate of return.
- Write the difference between discount rate and interest rate.
- Write the difference between stock market and stock exchange.
- What are the differences between interest rate and annual percentage rate?
- Make a list of various uses of papers. Observe currency notes carefully. Do you find any difference between currency paper and the paper in your notebook? Find out where currency paper is made.