- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Differentiate between CIFS and NFS in Computer Network.
CIFS stands for Common Internet File System. It is also known as Server Message Block. It is a network protocol whose most general use is sharing documents on a Local Area Network (LAN). The protocol allows a user to manipulate files just as if they were on the local computer.
Operations such as read, write, create, delete, and rename are all supported. The only difference is that the files are not on the local computer and are actually on a remote server.
NFS stands for Network File System. It is a type of file system mechanism that enables data storage and retrieval from multiple disks and directories across a shared network. Network File System is a protocol that operates on all the networks of IP-based.
It is implemented in that client/server application in which the server of NFS manages the authorization, authentication, and clients.
The major differences between CIFS and NFS are as follows −
|CIFS stands for Common Internet File System.||NFS stands for Network file system.|
|CIFS is developed as a common internet file system used to create limited access in windows operating systems.||The network file system is compressed as NFS and mainly used on UNIX or LINUX operating systems.|
|It is more secure than NFS. Provides some security features||It is not a secure protocol.|
|It can have a complex implementation compared to NFS.||It is easy to set up.|
|This protocol provides the sessions.||This protocol does not provide the session.|
|This protocol needs 139 and 445 TCP ports and 137 and 138 UDP ports.||This protocol needs 111 ports for both TCP and UDP.|
|This protocol can be used for transferring the files by Windows Operating systems.||This protocol can be used for transferring the files by Unix and Linux Operating systems.|
- Difference between NFS and CIFS
- Differentiate between DIMM and SIMM in Computer Network
- Differentiate between HTTP and HTTPS in Computer Network.
- Differentiate between IMAP and POP3 in Computer Network.
- Differentiate between FDM and TDM in Computer Network.
- Differentiate between NAS and DAS in Computer Network.
- Differentiate between DAS and SAN in Computer Network.
- Differentiate between GSM and CDMA in Computer Network.
- What is CIFS in the Computer Network?
- What is NFS in the Computer Network?
- Differentiate between I2C and SPI Protocol in Computer Network.
- Differentiate between Datagram Approach and Virtual Circuit in Computer Network.
- Differentiate between Synchronous TDM and Asynchronous TDM in Computer Network
- Differentiate between IEEE 802.3 and IEEE 802.5 in Computer Network.
- Difference between NAS and SAN in Computer Network