- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Differences between POP3 and IMAP
Both POP3 and IMAP are Message Accessing Agent which are widely used to retrieve messages from a mail server to receiver systems. Both helps in setting SPAM and virus filters.
Following are the important differences between POP3 and IMAP.
|1||Full Form||POP3 stands for Post Office Protocol 3||IMAP stands for Internet Message Access Protocol.|
|2||Complexity||POP3 is simple and only mails can be downloaded from your inbox to local computer.||IMAP is complex and allows to see all the folders on the mail server.|
|3||Ports||POP3 listens on 110 and POP with SSL, POP3DS listens on 995 port.||IMAP listens on 143 and IMAP with SSL, IMAPDS listens on 993 port|
|4||Multiaccess||POP3 suppots single device to access the mail at a time.||IMAP supports multiple devices which can access the mail at a time.|
|5||Download||In POP3, mail to be downloaded first then can be read.||In IMAP, mail can be partially read before complete download.|
|6||Mail Organize||Mails cannot be organized on mail server using POP3.||IMAP allows to organize mails on mail server.|
|7||Update Email||Mails cannot be created/updated/deleted on mail server using POP3.||IMAP allows to create/update/delete mails on mail server.|
|8||Search Content||Mail content cannot be searched on mail server using POP3. To search, mail to be downloaded first.||Mail content can be searched on mail server using IMAP.|
|9||Download||All message are downloaded at once.||Mail message header can be previewed befor a message is to be downloaded.|
|10||Change||Using local email software, a mail can be updated.||A mail can be updated via a web interface or email software.|
- Differentiate between IMAP and POP3 in Computer Network.
- Difference between SMTP and POP3
- Differences between C++ and C#
- Differences between C and C#
- Differences between Verification and Validation.
- Differences between String and StringBuffer
- Differences Between Selenium and Cucumber
- Differences Between Excel and Tableau
- POP3 protocol client in Python
- Differences between | and || operators in Java
- Major differences between C# and Java
- Differences between 8085 and 8086 microprocessor
- Differences between C++ string == and compare()?
- Differences between Digital and Analog System.
- Differences between Bootstrap and JQuery UI