- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference between RAM and HDD
RAM and HDD, are both types of computer memory. RAM is used to store computer programs and data that CPU needs in real time. RAM data is volatile and is erased once computer is switched off. HDD, hard disk has permanent storage and it is used to store user specific data and operating system files. HDD data is static and remains in the computer even if computer is switched off.
Following are the important differences between RAM and HDD.
|1||Definition||RAM stands for Random Access Memory.||HDD stands for Hard Disk Drive.|
|2||Memory||RAM is also called Primary Memory or Main Memory.||HDD is also called Secondary Memory.|
|3||Component||RAM has no moving mechanical parts and consists of transistors etc.||HDD contains moving mechanical parts like arm, pin etc.|
|4||R/W Time||RAM has small read/write or R/W time.||HDD has higher read/write time.|
|5||Access||Every memory area of RAM is accessible at same speed.||Different area of HDD may take different time to access.|
|6||CPU Access||CPU can access data stored on RAM.||Data to be copied from ROM to RAM so that CPU can access its data.|
|7||Capacity||RAM memory is generally smaller than HDD. Now-a-days it ranges fron 1GB to 8 GB in desktops.||HDD memory is very high. It ranges from 500GB to 4TB in desktops.|
|8||Noise||RAM don't produces any noise.||HDD produces noise due to mechanical movements.|
|9||Cost||RAM is costly per unit storage.||HDD is cheap per unit storage.|
|10||Impact on Speed||If RAM is low, computer will become slow.||HDD has not much inpact on computer's speed.|
- Difference Between SSD and HDD
- Difference between RAM and ROM
- Difference between RAM and CAM
- Difference Between RAM and ROM Memory
- How to android device is having low ram or high ram?
- Random Access Memory (RAM)
- Difference between C# and .Net
- Difference between Process and Thread
- Difference between Concurrency and Parallelism
- Difference between localhost and 127.0.0.1?
- Difference between JCoClient and JCoDestination
- Difference between String and StringBuffer.
- Difference between StringBuffer and StringBuilder.
- Difference between CPU and GPU
- Difference between TDM and FDM