- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference between LAN and a WLAN
LAN, stands for Local Area Network and is a computer network to connect large areas like an office or a building.
WLAN, stands for Wireless Local Area Network and is similar to LAN. It is relatively new and getting popularity now a days.
Following are the important differences between LAN and WLAN.
|1||Stands for||LAN stands for Local Area Network.||WLAN stands for Wireless Local Area Network.|
|2||Connection Type||LAN connections includes wired as well as wireless connection technologies.||WLAN connections are completely wireless technology based.|
|3||Coverage||LAN covers a large area like building.||WLAN slso covers a large regions like building, office etc.|
|4||Cost||LAN connections are less expensive, more secure that wireless connections of WLAN.||WLAN connections are more expensive and considered less secure than wired connections.|
|5||Complexity||Installation of LAN is relatively cheaper but complex to install. It requires Routers, switches to connect wires.||Installation of WLAN is costly but simple. Routers, switches are not needed to connect wires.|
|6||Performance||LAN provides good performance and impact of weather is limited.||WLAN provides high performance but may get impacted in bad weather.|
|7||Mobility||LAN has limited mobility. LAN needs ethernet to connect devices.||WLAN is highly mobile in nature. No ethernet is required to connect devices to WLAN.|
|8||Interruption||LAN connections can not be interrupted easily.||WLAN connections can be interrupted easily.|
|9||Examples||Desktop, laptops connected to LAN in an office.||Desktop, laptops connected on Wifi or hotspot based networks.|
- Difference between LAN and VLAN
- Difference between LAN and WAN
- Difference between LAN and MAN
- Difference between Ethernet and LAN
- Difference between LAN, MAN and WAN
- What is the difference between LAN and CAN?
- What is the difference between LAN, MAN, and WAN
- Wireless LAN and IEEE 802.11
- Difference between Database and a Blockchain
- Difference between WAN and a WWAN
- What is Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN)?
- Wireless LAN Protocols
- What is Virtual LAN?
- What is a LAN in Information Security?
- Difference between JCoClient and JCoDestination