- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference Between Internal and External fragmentation
In this post, we will understand the difference between internal and external fragmentation −
The difference between the memory allocated and the space required is known as internal fragmentation.
In this fragmentation, fixed-sized memory blocks are used to process data.
This process occurs when a method or process is larger than the required memory.
The method used in internal fragmentation is ‘best-fit’ block.
It occurs when the memory is divided into fixed sized partitions.
The unused spaces that is formed between fragments of non-contiguous memory, which are too small to help with a new process, is known as external fragmentation.
It uses variable-sized memory blocks to process data.
This type of fragmentation occurs when a method or process is removed.
It can be used with compaction, paging and segmentation.
External fragmentation occurs when memory is divided into variable sized partitions (that is based on size of process).
- Difference between Internal Fragmentation and External Fragmentation
- Difference between internal rate of return and modified internal rate of return.
- What is difference between internal and private modifiers in C#?
- Cost of External Equity Vs. Cost of Internal Equity
- Internal Table itab declaration in SAP and difference between both the declarations
- Difference between Work area, global structure and internal table in SAP ABAP
- How to get free size of internal/external memory in Android App?
- Difference between Internal tables, structures or work areas in SAP ABAP
- How to get free size of internal/external memory in Android App using Kotlin?
- Differentiate between rate of interest and internal rate of return.
- How to resolve javac is not recognized as an internal or external command in java?
- Differentiate between discounted Net present value and Internal rate of return.
- How Google plans to reduce update cycles and fragmentation in Android?
- Difference between JCoClient and JCoDestination