- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference Between Data and Information
In this post, we will understand the difference between data and information.
Data can be understood as a qualitative or quantitative entity that helps in developing ideas or helps arrive at conclusions.
It has been derived from a Latin worn ‘datum’, that means ‘to give something’.
Data is the plural of ‘datum’.
It could be letters, numbers, characters, sentences, and so on.
It can be in a structured format, unstructured format, or semi-structured format, such as graph, tree, table, and so on.
It is a single unit, and is considered as raw information.
It doesn’t depend on information.
All the data collected may not be useful.
In computer science, it can be measured in bits and bytes.
It is considered as low-level knowledge.
It can’t be used in the process of decision-making.
It can be understood as the property of an organization, and hence, not available to public (for sale).
It depends on the source of data.
It can’t be relied upon, and hence can’t be used for analysis.
It alone doesn’t have any significance.
It is not specific (depending on requirements).
It can be based on records and observations
Information is data that has meaning.
It was derived from French words and Middle English origins.
It refers to ‘act of informing’.
It can be understood as the act of interpreting data.
Interpretation would lead to meaningful data.
It is the data that has been processed, and most of it is useful.
It is used frequently in the process of decision-making.
It can be understood as the second level of knowledge.
Information is available to the public on sale.
It depends on the sanctity, authenticity and validity of data.
It is the second level of knowledge.
It is significant.
It is reliable, and helps in analysis.
It is readily available for use.
It is specific, since it is processed based on the requirement in hand.
- What is the difference between data and information in DBMS?
- Difference between Cyber Security and Information Security
- Difference Between Data and Metadata
- What is the difference between freedom of information and information privacy?
- Difference between data type and data structure
- Difference Between Data Mining and Data Warehousing
- Difference Between Data Warehouse and Data Mart
- Difference between Data Mining and Big Data?
- Difference between Data mining and Data Science?
- Difference between Data lake and Datawarehouse
- Difference Between Abstraction and Data Hiding
- Difference Between Data Hiding and Encapsulation
- Difference between Data Mining and Statistics?
- Difference between fundamental data types and derived data types
- Difference between Stack and Queue Data Structures