- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Define financial statement analysis in financial management.
Financial statements provide summary of the accounting of an organisation. The balance sheet reflects the assets and liabilities and capital as on certain data and the income statements tells about the results of operation in a certain period.
Financial statements consist of the following −
- Income statements or Profit and loss account
It provides entire operational of the concern like total revenue generated and expenses incurred for earning that revenue. Income statement helps to understand the gross profit and net profit of the concern.
- Balance sheet or the position statement
It helps to ascertain and understand the total assets, liabilities and capital of the firm. One can understand the strength and weakness with the help of position statement.
Business concern also prepares some of others parts of statements for internal purpose, which are as follows −
- Statements of changes in owners’ equity
It provides information about changes or position of owners’ equity in the company. It is also termed as statement of retained earnings.
- Statement of changes in financial position
It shows only about the position of finance. Statement of changes in financial position helps to identify the change in financial position of a company from one period to another period.
Types of financial statement analysis
The types of financial statement analysis are based on material used and on methods of operations.
- Based on material used
It is very much useful to understand the financial and operational position of business concern. It mainly depends on the published financial statement of the concern. This provides only limited information about the business concern.
It helps in understanding the operational performances of each and every department and unit of the business concern. Internal analysis helps to make decisions accordingly to achieve goals.
- Based on method of operations
Financial statements are compared with several years and based on that decisions will be taken. This is also called as dynamic analysis.
Financial statements measure the quantities relationship of various items in the financial statement on a particular period. It is also called as static analysis.
- Related Articles
- What is financial management? Define objectives and scope of financial management.
- Explain about sensitivity analysis in financial management.
- Define the components of financial management
- Define equity shares used in financial management.
- Define preference shares used in financial management.
- Explain various techniques used in financial statement analysis.
- Define concept of Debt securitisation in financial management.
- Define capitalisation and its type in financial management.
- Write about Financial breakeven in financial management.
- Explain about various financial statements in financial management.
- Limitations Of Financial Analysis
- What are regulatory requirements in formulation of financial strategies in financial management?
- Compare accounting and financial management.
- Explain about modelling in financial management.
- Explain about forecasting in financial management.