- Apache Tapestry Tutorial
- Apache Tapestry - Home
- Apache Tapestry - Overview
- Apache Tapestry - Architecture
- Apache Tapestry - Installation
- Apache Tapestry - Quick Start
- Apache Tapestry - Project Layout
- Convention Over Configuration
- Apache Tapestry - Annotation
- Pages and Components
- Apache Tapestry - Templates
- Apache Tapestry - Components
- Built-In Components
- Forms & Validation Components
- Apache Tapestry - Ajax Components
- Apache Tapestry - Hibernate
- Apache Tapestry - Storage
- Advanced Features
- Apache Tapestry Useful Resources
- Apache Tapestry - Quick Guide
- Apache Tapestry - Useful Resources
- Apache Tapestry - Discussion
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Apache Tapestry - Installation
In this chapter, we will discuss how to install Tapestry on our machine.
Tapestry's only dependency is Core Java. Tapestry is developed independently without using any third party library / framework. Even the IoC library used by tapestry is developed from the scratch. Web application written in tapestry can be built and deployed from console itself.
We can use Maven, Eclipse and Jetty to improve the development experience. Maven provides quick start application templates and options to host application in Jetty, Java's de-facto development server. Eclipse provides extensive project management features and integrates well with maven.
An ideal tapestry application development needs the following −
- Java 1.6 or later
- Apache Maven
- Eclipse IDE
- Jetty Server
Verify Maven Installation
Hopefully, you have installed Maven on your machine. To verify the Maven installation, type the command given below −
You could see the response as shown below −
Apache Maven 3.3.9 (bb52d8502b132ec0a5a3f4c09453c07478323dc5; 2015-1110T22:11:47+05:30) Maven home: /Users/workspace/maven/apache-maven-3.3.9 Java version: 1.8.0_92, vendor: Oracle Corporation Java home: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_92.jdk/Contents/Home/jre Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: UTF-8 OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.11.4", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"
If Maven is not installed, then download and install the latest version of maven by visiting the Maven website.
The latest version of tapestry is 5.4 and can be downloaded from the Tapestry website. It is enough to download the binary package. If we use the Maven Quick Start Template, then it is not necessary to download Tapestry separately. Maven automatically downloads the necessary Tapestry Jars and configures the application. We will discuss how to create a basic Tapestry Application using Maven in the next chapter.