- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Why is it not good practice to use date values with two-digits years in MySQL?
As we know that, YEAR(2) stores a year in 2-digit format. For example, we can write 69 to store 1969 as a year. In YEAR (2), the year can be specified from 1970 to 2069 (70 to 69).
MySQL interprets 2-digit year values with the help of following rules −
- Year values in the range 00-69 are converted to 2000-2069.
- Year values in the range 70-99 are converted to 1970-1999.
We must not store date values as a 2-digit format because values stored in this format becomes vague as the century is unknown.
It can be understood more clearly with the help of following MySQL example −
mysql> Create Table year_test(val year(2)); Query OK, 0 rows affected, 1 warning (0.23 sec) mysql> insert into year_test(val) values('70'); Query OK, 1 row affected (0.14 sec) mysql> insert into year_test(val) values('00'); Query OK, 1 row affected (0.06 sec) mysql> select * from year_test; +-----+ | val | +-----+ | 70 | | 00 | +-----+ 2 rows in set (0.00 sec) mysql> select * from year_test where val = '1970'; +-----+ | val | +-----+ | 70 | +-----+ 1 row in set (0.03 sec) mysql> select * from year_test where val = '2000'; +-----+ | val | +-----+ | 00 | +-----+ 1 row in set (0.00 sec) mysql> select * from year_test where val = '1900'; Empty set (0.06 sec)
It is uncertain that with which year we connote, ‘1900’ or ‘2000’, by storing 00 to ‘val’. MySQL is interpreting it as the year 2000.
- Why is it not good to sleep on the stomach for the whole night?
- Why Rainy season is not considered good to start exercising?
- Why is it good to write the numbers in MySQL INTERVAL() function in ascending order?
- Why is it considered a bad practice to omit curly braces in C/C++?
- Why is it not recommended to use the mixture of quoted as well as unquoted values in MySQL IN() function’s list?
- Why is it necessary to declare NOT FOUND handler while using MySQL cursor?
- Why we cannot use MySQL DATE data type along with time value?
- Is it okay to store double and date in VARCHAR with MySQL?
- Is it possible to use UPDATE query with LIMIT in MySQL?
- What is SciPy and why should we use it?
- Why is feedback necessary for good business?
- How to find last date from records with date values in MySQL?