- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is MySQL LOAD DATA statement?
This statement is used for importing the data from data files into our database. It reads data records directly from a file and inserts them into a table. Its syntax would be as follows −
LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE '[path/][file_name]' INTO TABLE [table_name ];
Here, a path is the address of the file.
file_name is the name of the .txt file
table_name is the table where the data will be loaded.
To illustrate the concept we are having the following data, separated by tab, in ‘A.txt’ whose path is d:/A.txt −
100 John USA 10000 101 Paul UK 12000 102 Henry NZ 11000 103 Rick USA 17000 104 Corey USA 15000
We want to load the data of A.txt into the following table named employee_tbl −
mysql> Create table employee_tbl(Id Int, Name varchar(20), Country Varchar(20),Salary Int); Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.91 sec)
Now, the transfer of data from a file to a database table can be done with the help of the following table −
mysql> LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE 'd:\A.txt' INTO table employee_tbl; Query OK, 5 rows affected (0.15 sec) Records: 5 Deleted: 0 Skipped: 0 Warnings: 0 mysql> Select * from employee_tbl; +------+-------+---------+--------+ | Id | Name | Country | Salary | +------+-------+---------+--------+ | 100 | John | USA | 10000 | | 101 | Paul | UK | 12000 | | 102 | Henry | NZ | 11000 | | 103 | Rick | USA | 17000 | | 104 | Corey | USA | 15000 | +------+-------+---------+--------+ 5 rows in set (0.00 sec)
The above result set shows that the data from A.txt file has been transferred to the table.
- How can we MySQL LOAD DATA INFILE statement with ‘ENCLOSED BY’ option to import data from text file into MySQL table?
- How can we MySQL LOAD DATA INFILE statement with ‘FIELDS TERMINATED BY’ option to import data from text file into MySQL table?
- What is the use of MySQL IGNORE INSERT statement?
- What is the use of FLUSH PRIVILEGES statement in MySQL?
- What kind of information is displayed by MySQL DESCRIBE statement?
- What is “where 1=1” statement in MySQL?
- What is $(window).load() method in jQuery?
- What is load shedding in computer networks?
- What is Statement in JDBC?
- What is PowerShell Break statement?
- What is BLOB data type in MySQL?
- What is TEXT data type in MySQL?
- What is Load/Store reordering in computer architecture?