- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are reference data types in Java?
Reference datatypes in java are those which contains reference/address of dynamically created objects. These are not predefined like primitive data types.
Following are the reference types in Java.
class types − This reference type points to an object of a class.
array types − This reference type points to an array.
interface types − This reference type points to an object of a class which implements an interface.
Once we create a variable of these types (i.e. when we create an array or object, class or interface).
These variables only store the address of these values.
Default value of any reference variable is null.
A reference variable can be used to refer any object of the declared type or any compatible type.
Animal animal = new Animal("giraffe");
- Related Articles
- What are reference data types in C#?
- What are the data types, value types and reference types in C#?
- What are primitive data types in Java?
- What are enumerated data types in C++?
- What are pointer data types in C#?
- What are nullable data types in C#?
- What are dynamic data types in C#?
- What are object data types in C#?
- Data types in Java
- How to declare reference types in JShell in Java 9?
- What are different Perl Data Types?
- What are compound data types and data structures in Python?