- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Transitive dependency in DBMS
What is Transitive Dependency
When an indirect relationship causes functional dependency it is called Transitive Dependency.
If P -> Q and Q -> R is true, then P-> R is a transitive dependency.
To achieve 3NF, eliminate the Transitive Dependency.
The above table is not in 3NF because it has a transitive functional dependency −
|Movie_ID -> Listing_ID|
Listing_ID -> Listing_Type
Therefore, the following has transitive functional dependency.
Movie_ID -> Listing_Type
The above states the relation <MovieListing> violates the 3rd Normal Form (3NF).
To remove the violation, you need to split the tables and remove the transitive functional dependency.
Now the above relation is in Third Normal Form (3NF) of Normalization.
- What is Transitive dependency in DBMS?
- What is functional dependency and transitive dependency (DBMS)?
- Partial Dependency in DBMS
- Functional dependency in DBMS
- Multivalued dependency in DBMS
- Join dependency in DBMS
- Fully-functional dependency in DBMS
- Explain join dependency in DBMS
- What is Multivalued Dependency (DBMS)?
- What is functional dependency in DBMS?
- What is multivalued dependency in DBMS?
- Transitive closure of a Graph
- Dependency Injection in C#
- Explain dependency injection in C#
- What is Data Dependency?