- DBMS Tutorial
- DBMS - Home
- DBMS - Overview
- DBMS - Architecture
- DBMS - Data Models
- DBMS - Data Schemas
- DBMS - Data Independence
- Entity Relationship Model
- DBMS - ER Model Basic Concepts
- DBMS - ER Diagram Representation
- DBMS - Generalization, Aggregation
- Relational Model
- DBMS - Codd's Rules
- DBMS - Relational Data Model
- DBMS - Relational Algebra
- DBMS - ER to Relational Model
- DBMS- SQL Overview
- Relational Database Design
- DBMS - Database Normalization
- DBMS - Database Joins
- Storage and File Structure
- DBMS - Storage System
- DBMS - File Structure
- Indexing and Hashing
- DBMS - Indexing
- DBMS - Hashing
- Transaction And Concurrency
- DBMS - Transaction
- DBMS - Concurrency Control
- DBMS - Deadlock
- Backup and Recovery
- DBMS - Data Backup
- DBMS - Data Recovery
- DBMS Useful Resources
- DBMS - Quick Guide
- DBMS - Useful Resources
- DBMS - Discussion
Mandatory and optional Participation
Mandatory and optional participation are observed in E-R models between 2 different entities.
In the mandatory participation, for every instance of entity A, there must exist an instance of entity B and vice versa.
An example of Mandatory participation would be relationship between mother and child. The child entity would exist only if there were a mother and similarly a mother would exist only if there were a child
In optional participation, it is not necessary for all the instances of the entity to participate in a relationship. It may be that the number of instances participating for a particular entity may even be zero.
Optional participation is good for depicting relationships that are not compulsory or may be temporary i.e relationships that may change over a period of time.
An example of this is Entity A is married to Entity B. Not all instances partake in this relationship and the relationship may even change over time.
- Related Articles
- Audience Participation and Media
- Entity Relationship Participation in Database
- Audience-Participation in Public Service Media
- Java 8 Optional Class
- Role of CSS :optional Selector
- Optional Parameters in Dart Programming
- Skipping mandatory fields in an ABAP screen
- Is it mandatory to close JDBC connections?
- Is it mandatory to link my Aadhaar with bank account and mobile?
- Handling optional/empty data in MongoDB?
- Optional property in a C# class
- Newman Optional Parameters & Configurations using Postman