- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Fourth Normal Form (4NF)
What is 4NF?
The 4NF comes after 1NF, 2NF, 3NF, and Boyce-Codd Normal Form. It was introduced by Ronald Fagin in 1977.
To be in 4NF, a relation should be in Bouce-Codd Normal Form and may not contain more than one multi-valued attribute.
Let us see an example −
The above is not in 4NF, since
- More than one movie can have the same listing
- Many shooting locations can have the same movie
Let us convert the above table in 4NF −
Now the violation is removed and the tables are in 4NF.
- First Normal Form (1NF)
- Second Normal Form (2NF)
- Fifth Normal Form (5NF)
- Third Normal Form (3NF)
- Domain-Key Normal Form
- Sixth Normal Form (6NF)
- Boyce–Codd Normal Form (BCNF)
- Explain Chomsky normal form in TOC
- Explain the Greibach Normal Form (GNF)
- How to convert CFG to Greibach Normal Form?
- What is 4NF in DBMS?
- Program to decode a run-length form of string into normal form in Python
- Program to encode a string in normal form to its run-length form in Python
- Which normal form is the highest that satisfies the functional dependencies(DBMS)?
- Create an example table that is in its first normal form(DBMS)