The Ultimate Linux Home Server Course
Learn and improve your Linux skills through building your own home server
Updated on Oct, 2023
Language - English
Duration -3.5 hours
Learn to use the Linux operating system and build a server in your own home.
Building a home server is an excellent way to learn how to use the Linux operating system. It also allows you to reuse any old laptop or desktop computer you have lying around at home for something everyone in your home can use.
Building your own server will take you behind the scenes on how an operating system really works. Using software which is 100% free, you will learn:
- How to install, maintain and secure a working Linux server
- What are the differences between the various Linux versions
- How to use your server as a personal secure web server and file server, and where to get ideas for other uses for it
- Key linux command line skills and how to put them to practical use
- How to troubleshoot common problems as they happen
Using skills which are directly relevant to the workplace, you will learn how to monitor, secure and backup your own private server. The downloadable guides also provide a wealth of information for you to take away and study at your own pace.
What will you learn in this course:
- How to design, build and administer a Linux home server
- How to find, install and run applications that will be useful at home
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- A physical computer to use as your server
- A keen interest in self improvement and learning about computers
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- Choosing Your Hardware 03:00 03:00
- Home Network Design 06:06 06:06
- The Ubuntu Operating System 04:34 04:34
- Preparing to Install Ubuntu 05:55 05:55
- Installing Ubuntu 10:22 10:22
- First Five Minutes After Install 03:39 03:39
- Logging Into Your Server Over the Network 02:25 02:25
Getting Started with Linux
Installing Apps - Getting to the Fun Stuff
Monitoring Your Servers Performance
Dermot DowneyProfessional systems administrator, educator and author
Dermot has over 15 years experience in IT and network administration in the pharmaceutical and financial industries. He has also been an educator on topics such as IT security and Unix administration.
He holds certifications in Cisco networking, network security and Linux administration, and has supported Red Hat, Debian and AIX systems in professional enterprises.
He believes in having fun in your work and enjoying what you do. He is passionate about IT systems, and believes strongly in passing this passion and skillset on to the next generation of IT enthusiast.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now