Survey of Python for GIS Applications
Introduction to the python language and ecosystem for GIS professionals
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
This course covers the basics of the python language, the python language, and the core python packages for data analysis, especially of geospatial data. The goal of the course is to provide a broad introduction to the capabilities of python and how all the various packages work together. This will provide a starting point for deeper exploration on your own or in future courses.
Introduction to python
Object oriented python
Packages and modules
Fiona and shapely
What will you learn in this course:
- An introduction to the language and its core principles.
- An introduction to object oriented programming in python.
- Finding and using third party python modules.
- Working with the operating system
- Working with files
- Working with databases
- Reading spatial data with GDAL/OGR
- Visualizing data with Matplotlib and other tools
- Data Analysis with pandas and geopandas
- Jupyter Notebooks
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- This course is not a beginner programming course. I assume you have some programming knowledge, i.e. what . variable is, what an expression is, what a loop is, what a function is, etc. But i do go over the basics of how all those things are implemented in
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- Introduction 07:32 07:32
- What is python? 18:59 18:59
- Why use python? 06:04 06:04
- What can you do with Python? 08:01 08:01
- What can you do with python? - Part 2 GIS 14:45 14:45
- About Python 15:23 15:23
Getting started with Python
Operators and expressions in Python
Complex data structures
Error Handling in Python
Objects in python
Python packages, virtual environments, and documentation
Formal testing in python
Working with the operating system and files
Working with database data
The python data science stack
Geospatial analysis in python
Michael MillerGIS Programming
I have been programming and working with database applications for over 30 years, and specializing in geospatial applications for over 20 years. I am a believer in the 80/20 pareto principle which suggests that you only need to understand 20% of a subject in order to do 80% of your work. My goal in all my courses is to teach at the level of that 20% sweet spot and to provide my students with the background and the tools they need to learn the rest of what they need on their own.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now