- Software Testing Tutorial
- Software Testing - Home
- Software Testing - Overview
- Software Testing - Myths
- Software Testing - QA, QC & Testing
- Software Testing - ISO Standards
- Software Testing - Types of Testing
- Software Testing - Methods
- Software Testing - Levels
- Software Testing - Documentation
- Testing - Estimation Techniques
- Software Testing Useful Resources
- Software Testing - Quick Guide
- Software Testing - Useful Resources
- Software Testing - Discussion
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Software Testing - ISO Standards
Many organizations around the globe develop and implement different standards to improve the quality needs of their software. This chapter briefly describes some of the widely used standards related to Quality Assurance and Testing.
This standard deals with the following aspects to determine the quality of a software application −
- Quality model
- External metrics
- Internal metrics
- Quality in use metrics
This standard presents some set of quality attributes for any software such as −
The above-mentioned quality attributes are further divided into sub-factors, which you can study when you study the standard in detail.
Part 11 of this standard deals with the extent to which a product can be used by specified users to achieve specified goals with Effectiveness, Efficiency and Satisfaction in a specified context of use.
ISO/IEC 25000:2005 is commonly known as the standard that provides the guidelines for Software Quality Requirements and Evaluation (SQuaRE). This standard helps in organizing and enhancing the process related to software quality requirements and their evaluations. In reality, ISO-25000 replaces the two old ISO standards, i.e. ISO-9126 and ISO-14598.
SQuaRE is divided into sub-parts such as −
- ISO 2500n − Quality Management Division
- ISO 2501n − Quality Model Division
- ISO 2502n − Quality Measurement Division
- ISO 2503n − Quality Requirements Division
- ISO 2504n − Quality Evaluation Division
The main contents of SQuaRE are −
- Terms and definitions
- Reference Models
- General guide
- Individual division guides
- Standard related to Requirement Engineering (i.e. specification, planning, measurement and evaluation process)
This standard deals with software packages delivered to the client. It does not focus or deal with the clients’ production process. The main contents are related to the following items −
- Set of requirements for software packages.
- Instructions for testing a delivered software package against the specified requirements.
Some of the other standards related to QA and Testing processes are mentioned below −
|Sr.No||Standard & Description|
A standard for the format of documents used in different stages of software testing.
A methodology for establishing quality requirements, identifying, implementing, analyzing, and validating the process, and product of software quality metrics.
Guide for Software Verification and Validation Plans.
A standard for unit testing.
A standard for Software Verification and Validation.
A standard for software inspections.
A standard for the classification of software anomalies.
A guide for the classification of software anomalies.
A guide for developing system requirements specifications.
A standard for software quality assurance plans.
A standard for software quality metrics and methodology.
A standard for software life cycle processes and life cycle data.
A vocabulary of terms used in software testing.
A standard for software component testing.