- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
OUT a8 instruction in 8085 Microprocessor
In 8085 Instruction set, OUT is a mnemonic that stands for OUTput Accumulator contents to an output port whose8-bit address is indicated in the instruction as a8. It occupies 2 Bytes in the memory. First Byte specifies the opcode, and the next Byte provides the 8-bit port address.
|Mnemonics, Operand||Opcode(in HEX)||Bytes|
OUT F0H is an example instruction of this type. The result of execution of this instruction is shown below with an example.
|Output Port F0H||Any Value||ABH|
OUT instruction is the only instruction using whichAccumulator contents can be sent out to an output port. A possible chip select circuit to connect an output port with an address as F0His as shown in the following Fig.
Chip select circuit for output port F0H
Here as the port address is F0H so the bits ranging from A7 to A0 should have the bit pattern
A7 A6 A5 A4 A3 A2 A1 A0 =1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0, with WR* = 0, and IO/M* = 1
All these bits will pass through a NAND Gate to product the output logic 1 as Chip-Select (CS), and so the output port chip gets selected. Thus, the chip responds when the 8085 sends out the address as F0H, IO/M* as 1, and WR* as 0. In other words, we consider that it is having the output port number F0H.
Notice that it is possible to have an input port with the address F0H, and an output port with the same address F0H. When the 8085 sends out the address as EFH and IO/M* as 1, only one of them is selected based on the RD* and WR* signal status values. Thus, it is possible to have a total of 256 input ports and a total of 256output ports.
|2000||D3||OUT F0H||Accumulator content will be sent to port addressF0H|
|201||F0||F0H as port address|
The timing diagram against this instruction OUT F0H execution is as follows –
Summary − So this instruction OUT requires 2-Bytes, 3-Machine Cycles (Opcode Fetch, Memory Read, I/O write) and 10 T-States for execution as shown in the timing diagram.
- Related Articles
- IN a8 instruction in 8085 Microprocessor
- DAA instruction in 8085 Microprocessor
- Instruction cycle in 8085 Microprocessor
- Instruction type CMC in 8085 Microprocessor
- Instruction type STC in 8085 Microprocessor
- Instruction type RLC in 8085 Microprocessor
- Instruction type RAL in 8085 Microprocessor
- Instruction type RRC in 8085 Microprocessor
- Instruction type RAR in 8085 Microprocessor
- Instruction type SPHL in 8085 Microprocessor
- Instruction type XTHL in 8085 Microprocessor
- Instruction type NOP in 8085 Microprocessor
- Unconditional JUMP instruction in 8085 Microprocessor
- Instruction register (IR) in 8085 Microprocessor
- Instruction type XCHG in 8085 Microprocessor