Most Complete Teaching of OSPF by Arash Deljoo
Open Shortest Path First Deep Dive
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
OSPF is an interior gateway protocol (IGP) for routing Internet Protocol (IP) packets within a single routing domain, such as an autonomous system. It gathers link state information from available routers and constructs a topology map of the network. The topology is presented as a routing table to the Internet Layer which routes packets based solely on their destination IP address.
OSPF detects changes in the topology, such as link failures, and converges on a new loop-free routing structure within seconds. It computes the shortest-path tree for each route using a method based on Dijkstra's algorithm. The OSPF routing policies for constructing a route table are governed by link metrics associated with each routing interface. Cost factors may be the distance of a router (round-trip time), data throughput of a link, or link availability and reliability, expressed as simple unitless numbers. This provides a dynamic process of traffic load balancing between routes of equal cost.
OSPF divides the network into routing areas to simplify administration and optimize traffic and resource utilization. Areas are identified by 32-bit numbers, expressed either simply in decimal, or often in the same octet-based dot-decimal notation used for IPv4 addresses. By convention, area 0 (zero), or 0.0.0.0, represents the core or backbone area of an OSPF network. While the identifications of other areas may be chosen at will, administrators often select the IP address of a main router in an area as the area identifier. Each additional area must have a connection to the OSPF backbone area. Such connections are maintained by an interconnecting router, known as an area border router (ABR). An ABR maintains separate link-state databases for each area it serves and maintains summarized routes for all areas in the network.
What will you learn in this course:
- Understanding OSPF Concepts , Configuration and Verification
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- Network+ or CCNA
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- OSPF Fundamentals 01:12:22 01:12:22
- OSPF Basic Configuration and Verification 01:20:16 01:20:16
- OSPF Single Area - Traditional Configuration  53:03 53:03
- OSPF Single Area - Traditional Configuration  34:22 34:22
- OSPF Single Area - Explicit Configuration 16:36 16:36
- OSPF Single Area with Multi Access Network 44:48 44:48
- OSPF Static Neighborship 27:09 27:09
- OSPF Dynamic Neighborship (A) 01:10:20 01:10:20
- OSPF Dynamic Neighborship (B) 54:50 54:50
- OSPF Packets and States and Static Neighborship 01:00:57 01:00:57
- OSPF Finite State Machine [FSM] 57:12 57:12
- 12 OSPF - OSPF DR and BDR 44:23 44:23
- OSPF LSA TYPE-1 ( Router LSA ) 46:40 46:40
- OSPF LSA TYPE-2 ( Network LSA ) 35:47 35:47
- OSPF LSA TYPE-3 ( Summary LSA ) 31:04 31:04
- OSPF LSA TYPE-5 ( External LSA ) 19:35 19:35
- OSPF LSA TYPE-4 ( ASBR-Summary ) 10:44 10:44
- OSPF LSA Types Example 56:51 56:51
- OSPF Determining the Next Hop 44:17 44:17
- OSPF Special Rule 13:29 13:29
- OSPF Default Route Advertisement 31:59 31:59
- OSPF Area Types 01:25:40 01:25:40
- OSPF Cost and Path Selection Rules 01:05:22 01:05:22
- OSPF Summarization 40:39 40:39
- OSPF Virtual Links 01:03:24 01:03:24
- OSPF Network Types 46:08 46:08
- OSPF Neighbor Adjacencies Troubleshooting 01:19:06 01:19:06
- OSPF Routes Troubleshooting 01:09:32 01:09:32
- OSPF Miscellaneous Issues and Trouble Tickets 59:39 59:39
OSPF in NX-OS
OSPF in ASA
OSPF in IOS-XR
Arash is an experienced Cisco engineer with 15 years of experience working in network engineering, communications, and education–particularly in training with E-learning companies. He earned a MSc in power electrical engineering from Tehran Polytechnic. He produces training courses in Persian and English.
The total number of his students in face-to-face and online teaching courses has been more than 10,000.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now