Learn React by building a Progressive Web App (PWA)
Build a movie browser app while learning React JS
Updated on Dec, 2023
Language - English
Duration -3 hours
A Progressive Web App or PWA is a web application that has a set of capabilities (similar to native apps) which provide an app-like experience to users. PWAs need to meet a set of essential requirements that we'll see next. PWAs are similar to native apps but are deployed and accessible from web servers via URLs, so we don't need to go through app stores.
A PWA needs to be:
- Progressive: Work for every user, regardless of browser choice, because they are built with progressive enhancement as a core tenet.
- Responsive: Fit any form factor, desktop, mobile, tablet, or whatever is next.
- Connectivity independent: Enhanced with service workers to work offline or on low-quality networks.
- App-like: Use the app-shell model to provide app-style navigation and interactions.
- Fresh: Always up-to-date thanks to the service worker update process.
- Safe: Served via HTTPS to prevent snooping and ensure content has not been tampered with.
- Discoverable: These are identifiable as "applications" thanks to W3C manifests and service worker registration scope allowing search engines to find them.
- Re-engageable: Make re-engagement easy through features like push notifications.
- Installable: Allow users to "keep" apps they find most useful on their home screen without the hassle of an app store.
- Linkable: Easily share via URL and does not require complex installation.
In detail, this course will cover everything you need to build amazing PWAs - leading to a score of 100 (out of 100) in Google's PWA auditing tool "Lighthouse".
But things have changed since the introduction of Single Page Applications (SPAs). React JS makes it very easy for us to create such SPAs.
Using these components, you can quickly develop amazing and powerful web apps. These components are completely reusable.
By the end of the course, you can build amazing React (single page) applications!
What will you learn in this course:
- React fundamentals
- Creating Stateful and Stateless components
- Create Single-Page-Application (SPA) using React-Router-DOM
- Access RESTful services from 3rd party service providers (Open Movie Database API)
- Make the React application a PWA using ServiceWorker
- Build a production version of our app
- Deploy our app on Google's Firebase hosting service
What are the prerequisites for this course?
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- Course introduction 04:42 04:42
- A quick intro to React 03:41 03:41
- Software setup 06:01 06:01
- Download the finished project
The Open Movie Database
Routing and Single-Page-Application (SPA)
Build and deploy
Progressive Web Application
Vinod Kumar KayartayaEvangelist, Consultant and Developer.
Hi. My name is Vinod and I am a software trainer, consultant and freelance developer in Bangalore, India.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now