Learn Python and create a GIS standalone tool
Use Tkinter and pyshp to create a Windows tool
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
Have you ever wanted to create a tool that you can use whenever you want to make a repeated operation? Now you can. You learn the basics of Python and apply it in a scenario, to create your own tool.
The tool can be executed via Python IDLE or make it a stand alone software, that you run by double-clicking it.
The subject itself is less important. What matters is the manner in which you can play with the tKinter library, designing the software look, coding the Menu functionality, program design: add buttons, add text fields, importing a file (in this case a csv file), perform calculations in the background, display error messages and using the Pyshp library to export everything to shapefile, but most important is to make a runnable tool. This will teach you exactly that!
The GIS field is becoming a very competitive and innovative field. By learning this skill you improve your CV. This can be very useful in the future.
This video series will assume you have some basic knowledge of Python. Otherwise, please also consider our Introduction to Python course.
I am always open to collaborations, to feedback and while I hope that this course will have explained everything thoroughly, I am not a full time programmer, rather a GIS specialist with some Python knowledge. For more in-depth Python lessons and explanations please consider other Python based courses.
What will you learn in this course:
- Learn to use Python libraries for GIS tool
- Learn to use the Shapefile library
- Learn to use Tkinter to create GUI
- Learn to export to CSV
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- Basic Computer Fundamentals & Terminologies
- A computer installed with Windows/Linux
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
Introduction to Python
- What is Python 02:25 02:25
- Constants, Variables, Expressions, Instructions 08:09 08:09
- Variable types 08:29 08:29
- Strings in Python 05:44 05:44
- Conditional execution in Python 07:22 07:22
- Try-except, catching errors 03:58 03:58
- Python architecture 04:46 04:46
- Functions, arguments, parameters 11:04 11:04
- Loops and iterations 04:59 04:59
- Reading files 02:26 02:26
- Working with Lists 06:53 06:53
- Python dictionaries 03:44 03:44
- Tuples, Print and Format method 09:22 09:22
- Regular expressions 01:56 01:56
- Introduction to Classes 09:20 09:20
Create the standalone GIS tool
Paul NicoaraMsc in Geomatics, Bsc in Cartography
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now