Great and informative course. More in-depth than I anticipated.
Introduction to Spatial Databases with PostGIS and QGIS 3
Learn Spatial SQL and database management for GIS Professionals
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
This course is intended to provide an introduction to spatial databases in general and PostGIS in particular to GIS professionals who are interested in expanding their skillset to multi-user enterprise level spatial databases. You will learn
What a spatial database is and why you would want to use one.
What SQL is, why you would want to use it, and how it can be applied to geospatial concepts.
How to install PostGIS locally for development purposes and how to access a production version via a network or the internet.
How to load your spatial data into PostGIS and access it from a variety of clients, especially QGIS
The basics of SQL for both spatial and non-spatial queries
How to validate data and control user access with the tools built-in to PostGIS
Optimizing your queries for the best performance
How to work with raster data in PostGIS
The basics of programming custom functions with PL/pgSQL
The basics of database administration to keep your database operating smoothly
What will you learn in this course:
- Setup an instance of PostgreSQL and PostGIS either locally or accessible via the internet.
- Access your PostGIS instance and load your own geospatial data.
- Utilize PostGIS data from a variety of clients (Primarily QGIS, but also ArcGIS, pgAdmin4, web clients, and more)
- Learn to create new tables, modify existing tables, and view existing data via SQL
- Perform geospatial analysis using Spatial SQL
- Control user access to your data with roles and privileges
- Automate the datbase with custom functions
- Deploy your database to an internet accessible server
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- Basic understanding of QGIS (displaying geospatial data, etc.)
- Desire to expand your knowledge of multi-user spatial databases.
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- Introduction 06:31 06:31
- What can a spatial database do for you? 10:09 10:09
- What exactly is a spatial database? 13:56 13:56
- Where does a spatial database live? 08:09 08:09
- What is SQL and why would you want to use it? 13:14 13:14
Installing software and loading data
Data Query Language - SQL queries for non-spatial data
Making SQL Spatial - Introduction
Making SQL Spatial - Advanced Topics
SQL Data Definition Language
SQL Data Manipulation Language
SQL Data Control Language
Deploying your database
Michael MillerGIS Programming
I have been programming and working with database applications for over 30 years, and specializing in geospatial applications for over 20 years. I am a believer in the 80/20 pareto principle which suggests that you only need to understand 20% of a subject in order to do 80% of your work. My goal in all my courses is to teach at the level of that 20% sweet spot and to provide my students with the background and the tools they need to learn the rest of what they need on their own.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
I have learnt a lot from this course it . It was very informative and I would recommend it to anyone interested in GIS and SQL
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now