Introduction to Automotive Design
The World's Top Online Course for Aspiring Car Designers
Updated on Oct, 2023
Language - English
Duration -36 mins
Automotive Design is one of the top creative careers in the world. Car designers are responsible for creating the exterior and interior designs for all the automobiles produced. While it is a extremely rewarding career, it is one of the most difficult fields to break into and become successful at. It all starts with your passion for cars and design. This course is designed to introduce you to the basic skills required to begin your creative journey in automotive design. By taking this course, aspiring car designers will learn the basics skills they need to take their automotive designs and drawings to the next level. The course will show you the most important drawing technique used by professional car designers so you can radically improve your sketches. You’ll learn how to draw wheels faster, better and more accurately and the importance of speed forms for developing your original design vocabulary and drawing technique. We’ll cover what materials are the best for sketching your ideas and how to maximize them. You'll learn the techniques for laying out a great side view sketches including proportion and where professional car designs get their inspiration from and how you can get inspired too! As a special bonus lecture, you'll learn the vocabulary of automotive design so you'll know what you're talking about. If you have a buring passion for cars and love design, are looking to improve your skills or dream of being a professional car designer and are looking for a place to start, this course is for you!
What will you learn in this course:
- I'll show you the drawing technique professional car designers use so you can radically improve your sketches
- You'll learn a method for how to draw wheels faster, better and more accurately
- I'll explain the importance of speed forms for developing your design vocabulary and drawing technique
- We'll identify what materials are the best for sketching your ideas and how to maximize them
- You'll learn the technique for laying out a great side view sketches including proportion
- I'll show you where professional car designs get their inspiration from and how you can get inspired too
- You'll learn the vocabulary of automotive design so you'll know what you're talking about
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- A burning passion for cars
- A burning passion for design
- A burning passion to improve your skills
- The ability to work very hard toward achieving your goals
- Basic art supplies: something to draw with and something to draw on
- Preferred materials: 18 x 24 smooth newsprint pad, soft lead colored pencils, ruler or T-square, tissue and kneaded eraser
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
Section 1 - Basic Skills of Automotive Designers
- Course Trailer 01:39 01:39
- Secrets of Car Designer Line Quality 06:44 06:44
- Getting Inspired & Developing Your Technique with Speed Forms 08:37 08:37
- Master Your Wheels - Secrets of Drawing Circles 06:44 06:44
- The Vocabulary of Automotive Design 03:52 03:52
- Secrets of Drawing Great Side Views 08:42 08:42
Professional, Award Winning Automotive and Product Designer, Entrepreneur
Born in New York City USA, Mr. Santoro attended the High School of Art & Design where he was a member of the first ever, industrial design high school program in the United States. After graduating from Pratt Institute with a bachelor degree in Industrial Design, Mr. Santoro was accepted as the first ever, post-graduate design intern at Chrysler Corporation where, upon completion, he received an offer to join the staff.
Mr. Santoro spent 6 years as an automotive designer at Chrysler where he created the ground breaking, cab-forward exterior design for the 1995 Car of the Year, the first generation Chrysler Cirrus and it's sister vehicle, the Dodge Stratus. Before leaving Chrysler, Mr. Santoro penned the 1996-2006 Jeep Wrangler, returning the vehicle visually to its iconic roots while pushing it forward into the new century.
Returning to New York City, Mr. Santoro spent two years as a consulting designer for Walter Dorwin Teague, America's oldest design consultancy. There he worked on numerous programs including creating conceptual design interiors for Boeing Aerospace and the production interior for the Gulfstream G5 aircraft.
Mr. Santoro retuned to automotive design work as a consultant working on the Vector M12 production supercar and Vector M12 "American Anthem" North American International Auto Show show car. Additional projects including the Lamborghini Jota show car followed.
In 1999, Mr. Santoro created the Apple-specific case market with the launch of his company, MacCase.
Mr. Santoro has been featured in several articles for his design innovations at Chrysler including “Passage by Design” (AutoWeek, January 9, 1995), “The Designers Who Saved Chrysler” (The New York Times, January 30, 1994) and his work at MacCase, “Flexible Pens (Car & Drvier, September 2013), "Former Car Designer Took Apple Accessories to a New Level" ( Detroit Free Press, September 26th 2020). Additional articles about Mr. Santoro and his work have appeared in Automobile, Road & Track, Authority Magazine, Motor Authority, Power Nation, Adventure Journal, Motor Trend and Car Styling.
He has been a part of student design reviews at College for Creative Studies in Detroit, Michigan and Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California as well taught Transportation Design at Pratt Institute in New York City. In 2016, Mr. Santoro returned to teaching through social medium, on-line teaching platforms and private tutoring. His students are being accepted at the world's top automotive design schools including NID in India, IAAD in Turin Italy, Art Center College of Design and College for Creative Studies in the United States.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now