Intro to American Criminal Law (Part 4) - Criminal Defenses
We use the law to teach people how to think, reason, and argue better.
Updated on Oct, 2023
Language - English
Duration -2.5 hours
In this class, we will study criminal defenses in this class, including the difference between the defenses of insanity, intoxication, infancy, duress, necessity, self-defense, defense of others, consent, and a few others.
What is a criminal defense? A criminal defense is used when you have committed a crime, but you have a reason that you are either not responsible for your actions (insanity, intoxication, etc.) or you have a justification or excuse for your actions (self-defense, defense of others, consent, etc.). Many people believe that if you claim insanity as a defense, you can go free. But is that what really happens? That's just one of the things you will learn in this class.
I will provide videos for the course that will explain each topic along with practice story problems (called fact patterns in law) to help understand each concept. Students will be instructed to listen to a brief lesson, pause the video and try the practice problems themselves, then unpause the video to listen to the answers. Students should pay attention to the thinking behind the answers, not just the answers themselves.
What will you learn in this course:
- Students will learn the basic elements common law criminal defenses
- Students will learn to look for the little details, think through a problem, and not settle on the first answer that jumps to mind
- Students will have a broader understanding of the world of criminal law crimes against the person and be able to speak intelligently about the topic
What are the prerequisites for this course?
This class will make more sense if you've taken Parts 1-3, but you can also take this class on its own if you are only interested in learning about criminal defenses.
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- 1 - Insanity 30:16 30:16
- 2 - Intoxication 14:02 14:02
- 3 - Infancy 12:38 12:38
- 4 - Duress 13:56 13:56
- 5 - Necessity 15:36 15:36
- 6 - Self-defense 23:35 23:35
- 7 - Defense of Others 02:25 02:25
- 8 - Defense of Property 10:17 10:17
- 9 - Consent 11:22 11:22
- 10 - Maintaining Domestic Authority 08:44 08:44
- 11 - Entrapment 09:26 09:26
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now