Getting Started in Port Scanning Using Nmap and Kali Linux
Discover top-class methods to identify weaknesses in services and systems to mitigate against network attacks
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
Kali Linux is one of the popular tools used for penetration testing, ethical hacking, and network security assessments. This course will help you to explore the techniques of port scanning using Nmap and Kali Linux.
The course starts by introducing you to the course objectives and to Kali Linux and Nmap. Next, you will delve into the concepts of host discovery, creating Nmap host lists in Kali Linux on the way. Moving ahead, you will learn the techniques used to perform scans with Nmap and learn the process of auditing Secure Shell (SSH) security to detect systems that allow password-based authentication. Toward the end, you will learn to use Ansible to secure the threats, ensuring that the fixes are documented are repeatable. Throughout this course, you will use Wireshark to analyze the network activity, which will help you to understand the different nodes of Nmap with ease.
By the end of this course, you will have gained all the essential skills needed to perform cybersecurity audits of your network using Kali Linux and Nmap.
If you are a Linux administrator or a security practitioner who is looking to secure network systems using Kali Linux and Nmap, this course is for you.
What will you learn in this course:
- Scan the local CentOS 8 host both with and without a firewall
- Distinguish between Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and SYN scan
- Use Nmap and awk to list Secure Shell (SSH) servers on the network
- Capture and filter packets with Wireshark
- Print Secure Shell (SSH) host-keys with Nmap Scripting Engine (NSE) scripts
- Secure your host configuration with Ansible
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- To learn from this course, you should have a good understanding of Linux—from command line to basic networking skills.
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
Kali Linux and Network Security Tools
- Course Overview 02:21 02:21
- Introducing Kali Linux and Network Security Tools 06:18 06:18
- Versioning Nmap 03:25 03:25
- Understanding Nmap Scans 04:35 04:35
- Working with Nmap and Wireshark 07:16 07:16
Host Discovery Using Nmap
Performing Scans Using Nmap
Protecting Your System
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now