Geospatial Data Science: GeoPandas
Geospatial Analysis without the GIS
Updated on Sep, 2023
Language - English
Learn why the Geospatial Data Science tools are becoming so popular in the Geospatial sector. The combination of Jupyter Notebooks with Python and GeoPanda's allows you to analyze vector data quickly, repeatably, and with full documentation of every step along the way so your entire analysis can be repeated at the touch of a button in a notebook format that can be shared with colleagues.
If you ever get asked to explain your analysis, either for a scientific paper, to defend your results in a court, or simply to share what you've done with others so they can follow your steps than you will be glad that you conducted your analysis in Jupyter notebooks with GeoPanda's rather than in a traditional desktop GIS system.
If you ever get frustrated with limitations in desktop GIS software, some of which is still 32 bit, single core software that uses decades old technology under the hood then you will appreciate the performance that can be achieved with this approach.
What will you learn in this course:
- How to analyze geospatial data using the python data science ecosystem
- Using Jupyter notebooks to provide complete documentation of your workflow and interactive code examples
- The basics of the python data science ecosystem: NumPy, Matplotlib, Pandas, etc.
- Geospatial extensions to the Python data science ecosystem: Fiona, Shapely, GDAL, and most importantly GeoPandas
- Perform common vector analysis tasks with GeoPandas
What are the prerequisites for this course?
- Basic understanding of GIS operations for data analysis (buffers, intersections, etc)
- Basic understanding of Python
Check out the detailed breakdown of what’s inside the course
- Introduction 05:46 05:46
- Differences between data science and GIS 19:48 19:48
- Advantages of the data science approach 10:52 10:52
- The python data science ecosystem for non-spatial data 09:40 09:40
- The python data science ecosystem for spatial data 08:29 08:29
- Introduction to Jupyter notebooks 08:34 08:34
Installation and setup
Getting started with GeoPandas
Spatial functions in GeoPandas
Summarizing your data
Combining data from multiple dataframes
Other GIS operations
Extra content from Survey of Python for GIS appications
Michael MillerGIS Programming
I have been programming and working with database applications for over 30 years, and specializing in geospatial applications for over 20 years. I am a believer in the 80/20 pareto principle which suggests that you only need to understand 20% of a subject in order to do 80% of your work. My goal in all my courses is to teach at the level of that 20% sweet spot and to provide my students with the background and the tools they need to learn the rest of what they need on their own.
User your certification to make a career change or to advance in your current career. Salaries are among the highest in the world.
Our students work
with the Best
Related Video CoursesView More
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now