Unity 2020 By Example Third Edition
A project-based guide to building 2D, 3D, augmented reality, and virtual reality games from scratch
About the Book
Learn Unity game development with C# through a series of practical projects ranging from building a simple 2D game to adding AR/VR experiences and machine learning capabilities in a simple yet effective way
- Gain a high-level overview of the Unity game engine while building your own games portfolio
- Discover best practices for implementing game animation, game physics, shaders, and effects
- Create fully featured apps, including Space shooter and a 2D adventure game, and develop AR/VR experiences and Game AI agents
The Unity game engine, used by millions of developers around the world, is popular thanks to its features that enable you to create games and 3D apps for desktop and mobile platforms in no time. With Unity 2020, this state-of-the-art game engine introduces enhancements in Unity tooling, editor, and workflow, among many other additions.
The third edition of this Unity book is updated to the new features in Unity 2020 and modern game development practices. Once you’ve quickly got to grips with the fundamentals of Unity game development, you’ll create a collection, a twin-stick shooter, and a 2D adventure game. You’ll then explore advanced topics such as machine learning, virtual reality, and augmented reality by building complete projects using the latest game tool kit. As you implement concepts in practice, this book will ensure that you come away with a clear understanding of Unity game development.
By the end of the book, you'll have a firm foundation in Unity development using C#, which can be applied to other engines and programming languages. You'll also be able to create several real-world projects to add to your professional game development portfolio.
What you will learn
- Learn the fundamentals of game development, including GameObjects, components, and scenes
- Develop a variety of games in C# and explore the brand new sprite shaping tool for Unity 3D and 2D games
- Handle player controls and input functionality for your Unity games
- Implement AI techniques such as pathfinding, finite state machines, and machine learning using Unity ML-Agents
- Create virtual and augmented reality games using UnityVR and AR Foundation
- Explore the cutting-edge features of Unity 2020 and how they can be used to improve your games
Who this book is for
If you are a game developer or programmer new to Unity and want to get up and running with the game engine in a hands-on way, this book is for you. Unity developers looking to work on practical projects to explore new features in Unity 2020 will find this book useful. A basic understanding of C# programming is required.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now