Swift Protocol-Oriented Programming Fourth Edition
Increase productivity and build faster applications with Swift 5
About the Book
Embrace the Protocol-Oriented Programming paradigm, for better code maintainability and increased performance, with Swift programming.
- Leverage the power of Protocol-Oriented Programming in your applications
- Leverage generics to create very flexible frameworks
- Learn how to implement common design patterns in a protocol-oriented way
Protocol-oriented programming is an incredibly powerful concept at the heart of Swift's design. Swift's standard library was developed using POP techniques, generics, and first-class value semantics; therefore, it is important for every Swift developer to understand these core concepts and take advantage of them. The fourth edition of this book is improved and updated to the latest version of the Swift programming language.
This book will help you understand what protocol-oriented programming is all about and how it is different from other programming paradigms such as object-oriented programming. This book covers topics such as generics, Copy-On-Write, extensions, and of course protocols. It also demonstrates how to use protocol-oriented programming techniques via real-world use cases.
By the end of this book, you will know how to use protocol-oriented programming techniques to build powerful and practical applications.
What you will learn
- Learn the differences between object-oriented programming and protocol-oriented programming
- Understand why value types should be prioritized over reference types
- Delve into protocols, protocol inheritance, protocol composition, and protocol extensions
- Learn how to implement COW (Copy-On-Write) within your custom value types
- Understand how memory management works in Swift and how to avoid common pitfalls
- Design applications by starting with the protocol rather than the implementation
Who this book is for
This book is intended for Swift developers who have, at minimum an introductory knowledge of the Swift programming language and would like to understand how they can use Protocol-Oriented Programming techniques in their applications.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now