Techniques for building modern cloud data warehousing solutions
About the Book
Develop modern solutions with Snowflake's unique architecture and integration capabilities; process bulk and real-time data into a data lake; and leverage time travel, cloning, and data-sharing features to optimize data operations
- Build and scale modern data solutions using the all-in-one Snowflake platform
- Perform advanced cloud analytics for implementing big data and data science solutions
- Make quicker and better-informed business decisions by uncovering key insights from your data
Snowflake is a unique cloud-based data warehousing platform built from scratch to perform data management on the cloud. This book introduces you to Snowflake's unique architecture, which places it at the forefront of cloud data warehouses.
You'll explore the compute model available with Snowflake, and find out how Snowflake allows extensive scaling through the virtual warehouses. You will then learn how to configure a virtual warehouse for optimizing cost and performance. Moving on, you'll get to grips with the data ecosystem and discover how Snowflake integrates with other technologies for staging and loading data.
As you progress through the chapters, you will leverage Snowflake's capabilities to process a series of SQL statements using tasks to build data pipelines and find out how you can create modern data solutions and pipelines designed to provide high performance and scalability. You will also get to grips with creating role hierarchies, adding custom roles, and setting default roles for users before covering advanced topics such as data sharing, cloning, and performance optimization.
By the end of this Snowflake book, you will be well-versed in Snowflake's architecture for building modern analytical solutions and understand best practices for solving commonly faced problems using practical recipes.
What you will learn
- Get to grips with data warehousing techniques aligned with Snowflake's cloud architecture
- Broaden your skills as a data warehouse designer to cover the Snowflake ecosystem
- Transfer skills from on-premise data warehousing to the Snowflake cloud analytics platform
- Optimize performance and costs associated with a Snowflake solution
- Stage data on object stores and load it into Snowflake
- Secure data and share it efficiently for access
- Manage transactions and extend Snowflake using stored procedures
- Extend cloud data applications using Spark Connector
Who this book is for
This book is for data warehouse developers, data analysts, database administrators, and anyone involved in designing, implementing, and optimizing a Snowflake data warehouse. Knowledge of data warehousing and database and cloud concepts will be useful. Basic familiarity with Snowflake is beneficial, but not necessary.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now