RESTful Web API Design with Node.js 10
Learn to create robust RESTful web services with Node.js, MongoDB, and Express.js
About the Book
Design and implement scalable and maintainable RESTful solutions with Node.js 10
- Create rich and scalable RESTful API solutions from scratch
- Explore the new features of Node.js 10, Express 4.0, and MongoDB
- Integrate MongoDB in your Node.js application to store and secure your data
When building RESTful services, it is really important to choose the right framework. Node.js, with its asynchronous, event-driven architecture, is exactly the right choice for building RESTful APIs.
This third edition of RESTful Web API Design with Node.js 10 will teach you to create scalable and rich RESTful applications based on the Node.js platform. You will be introduced to the latest NPM package handler and understand how to use it to customize your RESTful development process. You will begin by understanding the key principle that makes an HTTP application a RESTful-enabled application. After writing a simple HTTP request handler, you will create and test Node.js modules using automated tests and mock objects; explore using the NoSQL database, MongoDB, to store data; and get to grips with using self-descriptive URLs. You’ll learn to set accurate HTTP status codes along with understanding how to keep your applications backward-compatible. Also, while implementing a full-fledged RESTful service, you will use Swagger to document the API and implement automation tests for a REST-enabled endpoint with Mocha. Lastly, you will explore some authentication techniques to secure your application.
What you will learn
- Install, develop, and test your own Node.js user modules
- Understand the differences between HTTP and RESTful applications
- Use self-descriptive URLs and set accurate HTTP status codes
- Eliminate third-party dependencies in your tests with mocking
- Implement automation tests for a REST-enabled endpoint with Mocha
- Secure your services with NoSQL database integration within Node.js applications
Who This Book Is For
If you are a web developer keen to enrich your development skills to create server-side RESTful applications based on the Node.js platform, this book is for you. Some knowledge of REST would be an added advantage, but is definitely not a necessity.
Table of Contents
- REST – What You Did Not Know
- Getting Started with Node.js
- Building a Typical Web API
- Using NoSQL Databases
- Restful API Design Guidelines
- Implementing a Full fledged RESTful Service
- Preparing a RESTful API for Production
- Consuming a RESTful API
- Securing the application
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now