Python GUI Programming Cookbook Third Edition
Develop functional and responsive user interfaces with tkinter and PyQt5
About the Book
Over 90 recipes to help you develop widgets, forms, layouts, charts, and much more using the latest features of Python 3
- Use object-oriented programming to develop impressive GUIs in Python
- Create interesting charts to visually represent data using Matplotlib
- Develop GUIs with the latest versions of tkinter, PyQt5, and wxPython frameworks
Python is a multi-domain, interpreted programming language that is easy to learn and implement. With its wide support for frameworks to develop GUIs, you can build interactive and beautiful GUI-based applications easily using Python. This third edition of Python GUI Programming Cookbook follows a task-based approach to help you create effective GUIs with the smallest amount of code. Every recipe in this book builds upon the last to create an entire, real-life GUI application. These recipes also help you solve problems that you might encounter while developing GUIs. This book mainly focuses on using Python’s built-in tkinter GUI framework. You'll learn how to create GUIs in Python using simple programming styles and object-oriented programming (OOP). As you add more widgets and expand your GUI, you will learn how to connect to networks, databases, and graphical libraries that greatly enhance the functionality of your GUI. You’ll also learn how to use threading to ensure that your GUI doesn't become unresponsive. Toward the end, you’ll learn about the versatile PyQt GUI framework, which comes along with its own visual editor that allows you to design GUIs using drag and drop features. By the end of the book, you’ll be an expert in designing Python GUIs and be able to develop a variety of GUI applications with ease.
What you will learn
- Create amazing GUIs with Python's built-in tkinter module
- Customize GUIs using layout managers to arrange GUI widgets
- Advance from the typical waterfall coding style to an OOP style using Python
- Develop beautiful charts using the free Matplotlib Python module
- Use threading in a networked environment to make GUIs responsive
- Discover ways to connect GUIs to a MySQL database
- Understand how unit tests can be created and internationalize GUI
- Delve into the world of GUI creation using PyQt5
Who this book is for
If you’re a programmer or developer looking to enhance your Python skills by writing powerful GUI applications, this book is for you. Familiarity with the Python programming language is necessary to get the most out of the book.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now