Python Data Cleaning Cookbook
Modern techniques and Python tools to detect and remove dirty data and extract key insights
About the Book
Discover how to describe your data in detail, identify data issues, and find out how to solve them using commonly used techniques and tips and tricks
- Get well-versed with various data cleaning techniques to reveal key insights
- Manipulate data of different complexities to shape them into the right form as per your business needs
- Clean, monitor, and validate large data volumes to diagnose problems before moving on to data analysis
Getting clean data to reveal insights is essential, as directly jumping into data analysis without proper data cleaning may lead to incorrect results. This book shows you tools and techniques that you can apply to clean and handle data with Python. You'll begin by getting familiar with the shape of data by using practices that can be deployed routinely with most data sources. Then, the book teaches you how to manipulate data to get it into a useful form. You'll also learn how to filter and summarize data to gain insights and better understand what makes sense and what does not, along with discovering how to operate on data to address the issues you've identified. Moving on, you'll perform key tasks, such as handling missing values, validating errors, removing duplicate data, monitoring high volumes of data, and handling outliers and invalid dates. Next, you'll cover recipes on using supervised learning and Naive Bayes analysis to identify unexpected values and classification errors, and generate visualizations for exploratory data analysis (EDA) to visualize unexpected values. Finally, you'll build functions and classes that you can reuse without modification when you have new data.
By the end of this Python book, you'll be equipped with all the key skills that you need to clean data and diagnose problems within it.
What you will learn
- Find out how to read and analyze data from a variety of sources
- Produce summaries of the attributes of data frames, columns, and rows
- Filter data and select columns of interest that satisfy given criteria
- Address messy data issues, including working with dates and missing values
- Improve your productivity in Python pandas by using method chaining
- Use visualizations to gain additional insights and identify potential data issues
- Enhance your ability to learn what is going on in your data
- Build user-defined functions and classes to automate data cleaning
Who this book is for
This book is for anyone looking for ways to handle messy, duplicate, and poor data using different Python tools and techniques. The book takes a recipe-based approach to help you to learn how to clean and manage data. Working knowledge of Python programming is all you need to get the most out of the book.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now