Mastering Ubuntu Server Second Edition
Master the art of deploying, conﬁguring, managing, and troubleshooting Ubuntu Server 18.04
About the Book
- A practical easy-to-understand book that will teach you how to deploy, maintain and troubleshoot Ubuntu Server
- Get well-versed with newly-added features in Ubuntu 18.04.
- Learn to manage cutting-edge technologies such as virtualization, containers, Nextcloud and more
Ubuntu Server has taken the data centers by storm. Whether you're deploying Ubuntu for a large-scale project or for a small office, it is a stable, customizable, and powerful Linux distribution that leads the way with innovative and cutting-edge features. For both simple and complex server deployments, Ubuntu's flexible nature can be easily adapted to meet to the needs of your organization. With this book as your guide, you will learn all about Ubuntu Server, from initial deployment to creating production-ready resources for your network. The book begins with the concept of user management, group management, and filesystem permissions. Continuing into managing storage volumes, you will learn how to format storage devices, utilize logical volume management, and monitor disk usage. Later, you will learn how to virtualize hosts and applications, which will cover setting up KVM/QEMU, as well as containerization with both Docker and LXD. As the book continues, you will learn how to automate configuration with Ansible, as well as take a look at writing scripts. Lastly, you will explore best practices and troubleshooting techniques when working with Ubuntu Server that are applicable to real-world scenarios.
By the end of the book, you will be an expert Ubuntu Server administrator who is well-versed in its advanced concepts.
What you will learn
- Manage users, groups, and permissions
- Encrypt and decrypt disks with Linux Unified Key Setup (LUKS)
- Set up SSH for remote access, and connect it to other nodes
- Add, remove, and search for packages
- Use NFS and Samba to share directories with other users
- Get to know techniques for managing Apache and MariaDB
- Explore best practices and troubleshooting techniques
- Get familiar with scripting
- Automate server deployments with Ansible
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now