Mastering Swift 5.3 Sixth Edition
Upgrade your knowledge and become an expert in the latest version of the Swift programming language
About the Book
A comprehensive guide for programming enthusiasts who wish to gain a firm command of the fundamentals and advanced Swift concepts
- Sixth edition of this bestselling book, improved and updated to cover the latest version of the Swift 5.3 programming language
- Get to grips with popular and modern design techniques to write easy-to-manage Swift code
- Use core Swift features such as concurrency, generics, and copy-on-write in your code
Over the years, Mastering Swift has proven itself among developers as a popular choice for an in-depth and practical guide to the Swift programming language. This sixth edition comes with the latest features, an overall revision to align with Swift 5.3, and two new chapters on building swift from source and advanced operators.
From the basics of the language to popular features such as concurrency, generics, and memory management, this in-depth guide will help you develop your expertise and mastery of the language.
As you progress, you will gain practical insights into some of the most sophisticated elements in Swift development, including protocol extensions, error handling, and closures. The book will also show you how to use and apply them in your own projects. In later chapters, you will understand how to use the power of protocol-oriented programming to write flexible and easier-to-manage code in Swift. Finally, you will learn how to add the copy-on-write feature to your custom value types, along with understanding how to avoid memory management issues caused by strong reference cycles.
By the end of this Swift book, you will have mastered the Swift 5.3 language and developed the skills you need to effectively use its features to build robust applications.
What you will learn
- Understand core Swift components, such as operators, collections, control flows, and functions
- Identify how and when to use classes, structures, and enumerations
- Use protocol-oriented design with extensions to write easy-to-manage code
- Leverage design patterns with Swift to solve commonly occurring design problems
- Apply copy-on-write for your custom value types to improve performance
- Add concurrency to your applications using Grand Central Dispatch and operation queues
- Implement generics to write flexible and reusable code
Who this book is for
This book is for beginners with a basic understanding of programming and experienced developers looking to learn Swift programming. Familiarity with Apple's tools will be beneficial but not mandatory. All examples should also work on the Linux and Windows platforms
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now