Mastering React Test-Driven Development
Build rock-solid, well-tested web apps with React, Redux and GraphQL
About the Book
Implement TDD for your React applications using Jest, React Router, Redux, and GraphQL/Relay. Learn BDD and end-to-end acceptance testing with CucumberJS and Puppeteer.
- Learn the TDD process using the React framework
- Build complex, real-world applications with a pragmatic approach to TDD
- Use Cucumber for acceptance and BDD testing, bringing TDD to the wider team
Many programmers are aware of TDD but struggle to apply it beyond basic examples. This book teaches how to build complex, real-world applications using Test-Driven Development (TDD). It takes a first principles approach to the TDD process using plain Jest and includes test-driving the integration of libraries including React Router, Redux, and Relay (GraphQL).
Readers will practice systematic refactoring while building out their own test framework, gaining a deep understanding of TDD tools and techniques. They will learn how to test-drive features such as client- and server-side form validation, data filtering and searching, navigation and user workflow, undo/redo, animation, LocalStorage access, WebSocket communication, and querying GraphQL endpoints.
The book covers refactoring codebases to use the React Router and Redux libraries. via TDD. Redux is explored in depth, with reducers, middleware, sagas, and connected React components. The book also covers acceptance testing using Cucumber and Puppeteer.
The book is fully up to date with React 16.9 and has in-depth coverage of hooks and the ‘act’ test helper.
What you will learn
- Build test-driven applications using React 16.9+ and Jest
- Build complete web applications using a variety of HTML input elements
- Understand the different types of test double and when to apply them
- Test-drive the Integration of libraries such as React Router, Redux, and Relay (GraphQL)
- Learn when to be pragmatic and how to apply TDD shortcuts
- Test-drive interaction with browser APIs including fetch and WebSockets
- Use Cucumber.js and Puppeteer to build BDD-style acceptance tests for your applications
- Build and test async Redux code using redux-saga and expect-redux
Who this book is for
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now