Mastering PostgreSQL 12 - Third Edition
Advanced techniques to build and administer scalable and reliable PostgreSQL database applications
About the Book
Master PostgreSQL 12 features such as advanced indexing, high availability, monitoring, and much more to efficiently manage and maintain your database
- Grasp advanced PostgreSQL 12 concepts with real-world examples and sample datasets
- Explore query parallelism, data replication, database administration, and more
- Extend PostgreSQL functionalities to suit your organization’s needs with minimal effort
Thanks to its reliability, robustness, and high performance, PostgreSQL has become the most advanced open source database on the market. This third edition of Mastering PostgreSQL helps you build dynamic database solutions for enterprise applications using the latest release of PostgreSQL, which enables database analysts to design both physical and technical aspects of system architecture with ease.
Starting with an introduction to the newly released features in PostgreSQL 12, this book will help you build efficient and fault-tolerant PostgreSQL applications. You’ll thoroughly examine the advanced features of PostgreSQL, including logical replication, database clusters, performance tuning, monitoring, and user management. You’ll also work with the PostgreSQL optimizer, configure PostgreSQL for high speed, and understand how to move from Oracle to PostgreSQL. As you progress through the chapters, you’ll cover transactions, locking, indexes, and how to optimize queries for improved performance. Additionally, you’ll learn how to manage network security and explore backups and replications while understanding useful PostgreSQL extensions to help you in optimizing the performance of large databases.
By the end of this PostgreSQL book, you’ll be able to get the most out of your database by implementing advanced administrative tasks effortlessly.
What you will learn
- Understand the advanced SQL functions in PostgreSQL 12
- Use indexing features in PostgreSQL to fine-tune the performance of queries
- Work with stored procedures and manage backup and recovery
- Master replication and failover techniques to reduce data loss
- Replicate PostgreSQL database systems to create backups and to scale your database
- Manage and improve the security of your server to protect your data
- Troubleshoot your PostgreSQL instance for solutions to common and not-so-common problems
Who this book is for
This book is for PostgreSQL developers and administrators and database professionals who want to implement advanced functionalities and master complex administrative tasks with PostgreSQL 12. Prior exposure to PostgreSQL as well as familiarity with the basics of database administration is expected.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now