Learning Java by Building Android Games Third Edition
Learn Java and Android from scratch by building five exciting games
About the Book
Get ready to learn Java the fun way by developing games for the Android platform with this new and updated third edition
- Learn Java, Android, and object-oriented programming from scratch
- Find out how to build games including Sub Hunter, Retro Pong, Bullet Hell, Classic Snake, and Scrolling Shooters
- Create and design your own games by learning all the concepts that a game developer must know
Android is one of the most popular mobile operating systems today. It uses the most popular programming language, Java, as one of the primary languages for building apps of all types. Unlike most other Android books, this book doesn’t assume that you have any prior knowledge of Java programming, instead helps you get started with building Android games as a beginner.
This new, improved, and updated third edition of Learning Java by Building Android Games helps you to build Android games from scratch. Once you've got to grips with the fundamentals, the difficulty level increases steadily as you explore key Java topics, such as variables, loops, methods, object-oriented programming (OOP), and design patterns while working with up-to-date code and supporting examples. At each stage, you'll be able to test your understanding by implementing the concepts that you’ve learned to develop a game. Toward the end, you’ll build games such as Sub Hunter, Retro Pong, Bullet Hell, Classic Snake, and Scrolling Shooter.
By the end of this Java book, you'll not only have a solid understanding of Java and Android basics but will also have developed five cool games for the Android platform.
What you will learn
- Set up a game development environment in Android Studio
- Respond to a player’s touch and program intelligent enemies who can challenge the player in different ways
- Explore collision detection, sprite sheets animation, simple tracking and following, AI, parallax backgrounds, and particle explosions
- Animate objects at 60 FPS and manage multiple independent objects using OOP
- Work with design patterns such as OOP, singleton, strategy, and entity-component
- Work with the Android API, the SoundPool API, Paint, Canvas, Bitmap classes, and detect version numbers
Who this book is for
Learning Java by Building Android Games is for anyone who is new to Java, Android, or game programming and wants to develop Android games. The book will also serve as a refresher for those who already have experience using Java on Android or any other platform but are new to game development.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now