Learn Scala Programming
A comprehensive guide covering functional and reactive programming with Scala 2.13, Akka, and Lagom
About the Book
A step-by-step guide in building high-performance scalable applications with the latest features of Scala.
- Develop a strong foundation in functional programming and Scala's Standard Library (STL)
- Get a detailed coverage of Lightbend Lagom—the latest microservices framework from Lightbend
- Understand the Akka framework and learn event-based Programming with Scala
The second version of Scala has undergone multiple changes to support features and library implementations. Scala 2.13, with its main focus on modularizing the standard library and simplifying collections, brings with it a host of updates.
Learn Scala Programming addresses both technical and architectural changes to the redesigned standard library and collections, along with covering in-depth type systems and first-level support for functions. You will discover how to leverage implicits as a primary mechanism for building type classes and look at different ways to test Scala code. You will also learn about abstract building blocks used in functional programming, giving you sufficient understanding to pick and use any existing functional programming library out there. In the concluding chapters, you will explore reactive programming by covering the Akka framework and reactive streams.
By the end of this book, you will have built microservices and learned to implement them with the Scala and Lagom framework.
What you will learn
- Acquaint yourself with the new standard library of Scala 2.13
- Get to grips with the Grok functional paradigms
- Get familiar with type system to express domain constraints
- Understand the actor model and different Akka libraries
- Grasp the concept of building microservices using Lagom framework
- Deep dive into property-based testing and its practical applications
Who this book is for
This book is for beginner to intermediate level Scala developers who would like to advance and gain knowledge of the intricacies of the Scala language, expand their functional programming tools, and explore actor-based concurrency models.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now