Learn Kotlin Programming Second Edition
A comprehensive guide to OOP, functions, concurrency, and coroutines in Kotlin 1.3
About the Book
Delve into the world of Kotlin and learn to build powerful Android and web applications
- Learn the fundamentals of Kotlin to write high-quality code
- Test and debug your applications with the different unit testing frameworks in Kotlin
- Explore Kotlin's interesting features such as null safety, reflection, and annotations
Kotlin is a general-purpose programming language used for developing cross-platform applications. Complete with a comprehensive introduction and projects covering the full set of Kotlin programming features, this book will take you through the fundamentals of Kotlin and get you up to speed in no time.
Learn Kotlin Programming covers the installation, tools, and how to write basic programs in Kotlin. You'll learn how to implement object-oriented programming in Kotlin and easily reuse your program or parts of it. The book explains DSL construction, serialization, null safety aspects, and type parameterization to help you build robust apps. You'll learn how to destructure expressions and write your own. You'll then get to grips with building scalable apps by exploring advanced topics such as testing, concurrency, microservices, coroutines, and Kotlin DSL builders. Furthermore, you'll be introduced to the kotlinx.serialization framework, which is used to persist objects in JSON, Protobuf, and other formats.
By the end of this book, you'll be well versed with all the new features in Kotlin and will be able to build robust applications skillfully.
What you will learn
- Explore the latest Kotlin features in order to write structured and readable object-oriented code
- Get to grips with using lambdas and higher-order functions
- Write unit tests and integrate Kotlin with Java code
- Create real-world apps in Kotlin in the microservices style
- Use Kotlin extensions with the Java collections library
- Uncover destructuring expressions and find out how to write your own
- Understand how Java-nullable code can be integrated with Kotlin features
Who this book is for
If you’re a beginner or intermediate programmer who wants to learn Kotlin to build applications, this book is for you. You’ll also find this book useful if you’re a Java developer interested in switching to Kotlin.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now