Learn Docker – Fundamentals of Docker 19.x Second Edition
Build, test, ship, and run containers with Docker and Kubernetes
About the Book
Explore the core functionality of containerizing your applications and making them production-ready
- Grasp basic to advanced Docker concepts with this comprehensive guide
- Get acquainted with Docker containers, Docker images, orchestrators, cloud integration, and networking
- Learn to simplify dependencies and deploy and test containers in production
Containers enable you to package an application with all the components it needs, such as libraries and other dependencies, and ship it as one package. Docker containers have revolutionized the software supply chain in both small and large enterprises.
Starting with an introduction to Docker fundamentals and setting up an environment to work with it, you’ll delve into concepts such as Docker containers, Docker images, and Docker Compose. As you progress, the book will help you explore deployment, orchestration, networking, and security. Finally, you’ll get to grips with Docker functionalities on public clouds such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, and Google Cloud Platform (GCP), and learn about Docker Enterprise Edition features. Additionally, you’ll also discover the benefits of increased security with the use of containers.
By the end of this Docker book, you’ll be able to build, ship, and run a containerized, highly distributed application on Docker Swarm or Kubernetes, running on-premises or in the cloud.
What you will learn
- Containerize your traditional or microservice-based applications
- Develop, modify, debug, and test an application running inside a container
- Share or ship your application as an immutable container image
- Build a Docker Swarm and a Kubernetes cluster in the cloud
- Run a highly distributed application using Docker Swarm or Kubernetes
- Update or rollback a distributed application with zero downtime
- Secure your applications with encapsulation, networks, and secrets
- Troubleshoot a containerized, highly distributed application in the cloud
Who this book is for
This book is for system administrators, operations engineers, DevOps engineers, and developers or stakeholders who are interested in getting started with Docker from scratch. No prior experience with Docker containers is required.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now