Hands-On Design Patterns with Swift
Master Swift best practices to build modular applications for mobile, desktop, and server platforms
About the Book
From learning about the most sought-after design patterns to a comprehensive coverage of architectural patterns and code testing, this book is all you need to write clean, reusable code
- Write clean, reusable and maintainable code, and make the most of the latest Swift version.
- Analyze case studies of some of the popular open source projects and give your workflow a huge boost
- Choose patterns such as MVP, MVC, and MVVM depending on the application being built
Swift keeps gaining traction not only amongst Apple developers but also as a server-side language. This book demonstrates how to apply design patterns and best practices in real-life situations, whether that's for new or already existing projects.
You’ll begin with a quick refresher on Swift, the compiler, the standard library, and the foundation, followed by the Cocoa design patterns – the ones at the core of many cocoa libraries – to follow up with the creational, structural, and behavioral patterns as defined by the GoF. You'll get acquainted with application architecture, as well as the most popular architectural design patterns, such as MVC and MVVM, and learn to use them in the context of Swift. In addition, you’ll walk through dependency injection and functional reactive programming. Special emphasis will be given to techniques to handle concurrency, including callbacks, futures and promises, and reactive programming. These techniques will help you adopt a test-driven approach to your workflow in order to use Swift Package Manager and integrate the framework into the original code base, along with Unit and UI testing.
By the end of the book, you'll be able to build applications that are scalable, faster, and easier to maintain.
What you will learn
- Work efficiently with Foundation and Swift Standard library
- Understand the most critical GoF patterns and use them efficiently
- Use Swift 4.2 and its unique capabilities (and limitations) to implement and improve GoF patterns
- Improve your application architecture and optimize for maintainability and performance
- Write efficient and clean concurrent programs using futures and promises, or reactive programming techniques
- Use Swift Package Manager to refactor your program into reusable components
- Leverage testing and other techniques for writing robust code
Who this book is for
This book is for intermediate developers who want to apply design patterns with Swift to structure and scale their applications. You are expected to have basic knowledge of iOS and Swift.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now