Ghidra Software Reverse Engineering for Beginners
Analyze, identify, and avoid malicious code and potential threats in your networks and systems
About the Book
Detect potentials bugs in your code or program and develop your own tools using the Ghidra reverse engineering framework developed by the NSA project
- Make the most of Ghidra on different platforms such as Linux, Windows, and macOS
- Leverage a variety of plug-ins and extensions to perform disassembly, assembly, decompilation, and scripting
- Discover how you can meet your cybersecurity needs by creating custom patches and tools
Ghidra, an open source software reverse engineering (SRE) framework created by the NSA research directorate, enables users to analyze compiled code on any platform, whether Linux, Windows, or macOS. This book is a starting point for developers interested in leveraging Ghidra to create patches and extend tool capabilities to meet their cybersecurity needs.
You'll begin by installing Ghidra and exploring its features, and gradually learn how to automate reverse engineering tasks using Ghidra plug-ins. You’ll then see how to set up an environment to perform malware analysis using Ghidra and how to use it in the headless mode. As you progress, you’ll use Ghidra scripting to automate the task of identifying vulnerabilities in executable binaries. The book also covers advanced topics such as developing Ghidra plug-ins, developing your own GUI, incorporating new process architectures if needed, and contributing to the Ghidra project.
By the end of this Ghidra book, you’ll have developed the skills you need to harness the power of Ghidra for analyzing and avoiding potential vulnerabilities in code and networks.
What you will learn
- Get to grips with using Ghidra’s features, plug-ins, and extensions
- Understand how you can contribute to Ghidra
- Focus on reverse engineering malware and perform binary auditing
- Automate reverse engineering tasks with Ghidra plug-ins
- Become well-versed with developing your own Ghidra extensions, scripts, and features
- Automate the task of looking for vulnerabilities in executable binaries using Ghidra scripting
- Find out how to use Ghidra in the headless mode
Who this book is for
This SRE book is for developers, software engineers, or any IT professional with some understanding of cybersecurity essentials. Prior knowledge of Java or Python, along with experience in programming or developing applications, is required before getting started with this book.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now