Docker on Windows - Second Edition
From 101 to production with Docker on Windows
About the Book
Learn how to run new and old applications in Docker containers on Windows - modernizing the architecture, improving security and maximizing efficiency.
- Run .NET Framework and .NET Core apps in Docker containers for efficiency, security and portability
- Design distributed containerized apps, using enterprise-grade open source software from Docker Hub
- Build a CI/CD pipeline with Docker, going from source to a production Docker Swarm in the cloud
Docker on Windows, Second Edition teaches you all you need to know about Docker on Windows, from the 101 to running highly-available workloads in production. You’ll be guided through a Docker journey, starting with the key concepts and simple examples of .NET Framework and .NET Core apps in Docker containers on Windows. Then you’ll learn how to use Docker to modernize the architecture and development of traditional ASP.NET and SQL Server apps.
The examples show you how to break up legacy monolithic applications into distributed apps and deploy them to a clustered environment in the cloud, using the exact same artifacts you use to run them locally. You’ll see how to build a CI/CD pipeline which uses Docker to compile, package, test and deploy your applications. To help you move confidently to production, you’ll learn about Docker security, and the management and support options.
The book finishes with guidance on getting started with Docker in your own projects. You’ll walk through some real-world case studies for Docker implementations, from small-scale on-premises apps to very large-scale apps running on Azure.
What you will learn
- Understand key Docker concepts: images, containers, registries and swarms
- Run Docker on Windows 10, Windows Server 2019, and in the cloud
- Deploy and monitor distributed solutions across multiple Docker containers
- Run containers with high availability and failover with Docker Swarm
- Master security in-depth with the Docker platform, making your apps more secure
- Build a Continuous Deployment pipeline, running Jenkins and Git in Docker
- Debug applications running in Docker containers using Visual Studio
- Plan the adoption of Docker in your organization
Who this book is for
If you want to modernize an old monolithic application without rewriting it, smooth the deployment to production, or move to DevOps or the cloud, then Docker is the enabler for you. This book gives you a solid grounding in Docker so you can confidently approach all of these scenarios.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now