Over 120 recipes to enhance your business with analytics, reporting, and business intelligence
About the Book
Solve real-world business problems by learning how to create common industry key performance indicators and other calculations using DAX within Microsoft products such as Power BI, SQL Server, and Excel.
- Learn to write sophisticated DAX queries to solve business intelligence and data analytics challenges
- Handle performance issues and optimization within the data model, DAX calculations and more
- Solve business issues with Microsoft Excel, Power BI, and SQL Server using DAX queries
DAX provides an extra edge by extracting key information from the data that is already present in your model. Filled with examples of practical, real-world calculations geared toward business metrics and key performance indicators, this cookbook features solutions that you can apply for your own business analysis needs.
You'll learn to write various DAX expressions and functions to understand how DAX queries work. The book also covers sections on dates, time, and duration to help you deal with working days, time zones, and shifts. You'll then discover how to manipulate text and numbers to create dynamic titles and ranks, and deal with measure totals. Later, you'll explore common business metrics for finance, customers, employees, and projects. The book will also show you how to implement common industry metrics such as days of supply, mean time between failure, order cycle time and overall equipment effectiveness. In the concluding chapters, you'll learn to apply statistical formulas for covariance, kurtosis, and skewness. Finally, you'll explore advanced DAX patterns for interpolation, inverse aggregators, inverse slicers, and even forecasting with a deseasonalized correlation coefficient.
By the end of this book, you'll have the skills you need to use DAX's functionality and flexibility in business intelligence and data analytics.
What you will learn
- Understand how to create common calculations for dates, time, and duration
- Create key performance indicators (KPIs) and other business calculations
- Develop general DAX calculations that deal with text and numbers
- Discover new ideas and time-saving techniques for better calculations and models
- Perform advanced DAX calculations for solving statistical measures and other mathematical formulas
- Handle errors in DAX and learn how to debug DAX calculations
- Understand how to optimize your data models
Who this book is for
Business users, BI developers, data analysts, and SQL users who are looking for solutions to the challenges faced while solving analytical operations using DAX techniques and patterns will find this book useful. Basic knowledge of the DAX language and Microsoft services is mandatory.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now