Crafting Test-Driven Software with Python
Write test suites that scale with your applications' needs and complexity using Python and PyTest
About the Book
Get to grips with essential concepts and step-by-step explanations to apply TDD practices to your Python projects while keeping your test suite under control
- Build robust Python applications using TDD and BDD methodologies
- Test Python web applications using WebTest and web frameworks
- Leverage PyTest to implement stringent testing mechanisms to ensure fault-tolerant applications
Test-driven development (TDD) is a set of best practices that helps developers to build more scalable software and is used to increase the robustness of software by using automatic tests. This book shows you how to apply TDD practices effectively in Python projects.
You’ll begin by learning about built-in unit tests and Mocks before covering rich frameworks like PyTest and web-based libraries such as WebTest and Robot Framework, discovering how Python allows you to embrace all modern testing practices with ease. Moving on, you’ll find out how to design tests and balance them with new feature development and learn how to create a complete test suite with PyTest. The book helps you adopt a hands-on approach to implementing TDD and associated methodologies that will have you up and running and make you more productive in no time. With the help of step-by-step explanations of essential concepts and practical examples, you’ll explore automatic tests and TDD best practices and get to grips with the methodologies and tools available in Python for creating effective and robust applications.
By the end of this Python book, you will be able to write reliable test suites in Python to ensure the long-term resilience of your application using the range of libraries offered by Python for testing and development.
What you will learn
- Find out how tests can make your life easier as a developer and discover related best practices
- Explore PyTest, the most widespread testing framework for Python
- Get to grips with the most common PyTest plugins, including coverage, flaky, xdist, and picked
- Write functional tests for WSGI web applications with WebTest
- Run end-to-end tests for web applications using Robot Framework
- Understand what test-driven development means and why it is important
- Discover how to use the range of tools available in Python
- Build reliable and robust applications
Who this book is for
This book is for Python developers looking to get started with test-driven development and developers who want to learn about the testing tools available in Python. Developers who want to create web applications with Python and plan to implement TDD methodology with PyTest will find this book useful. Basic knowledge of Python programming is required.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now