Continuous Integration, Delivery, and Deployment
Reliable and faster software releases with automating builds, tests, and deployment
About the Book
Getting started with the processes and the tools to continuously deliver high-quality software
About This Book
- Incorporate popular development practices to prevent messy code
- Automate your build, integration, release, and deployment processes with Jenkins, Git, and Gulpâ€•and learn how continuous integration (CI) can save you time and money
Who This Book Is For
What You Will Learn
- Get to know all the aspects of Continuous Integration, Deployment, and Delivery
- Find out how Git can be used in a CI environment
- Set up browser tests using Karma and Selenium and unit tests using Jasmine
- Use Node.js, npm, and Gulp to automate tasks such as linting, testing, and minification
- Explore different Jenkins jobs to integrate with Node.js and C# projects
- Perform Continuous Delivery and Deployment using Jenkins
- Test and deliver a web API
The challenge faced by many teams while implementing Continuous Deployment is that it requires the use of many tools and processes that all work together. Learning and implementing all these tools (correctly) takes a lot of time and effort, leading people to wonder whether it's really worth it. This book sets up a project to show you the different steps, processes, and tools in Continuous Deployment and the actual problems they solve.
We start by introducing Continuous Integration (CI), deployment, and delivery as well as providing an overview of the tools used in CI. You'll then create a web app and see how Git can be used in a CI environment. Moving on, you'll explore unit testing using Jasmine and browser testing using Karma and Selenium for your app. You'll also find out how to automate tasks using Gulp and Jenkins. Next, you'll get acquainted with database integration for different platforms, such as MongoDB and PostgreSQL. Finally, you'll set up different Jenkins jobs to integrate with Node.js and C# projects, and Jenkins pipelines to make branching easier.
By the end of the book, you'll have implemented Continuous Delivery and deployment from scratch.
Style and approach
This practical book takes a step-by-step approach to explaining all the concepts of Continuous Integration and delivery, and how it can help you deliver a high-quality product.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now