Android Programming with Kotlin for Beginners
Build Android apps starting from zero programming experience with the new Kotlin programming language
About the Book
Build smart looking Kotlin apps with UI and functionality for the Android platform
- Start your Android programming career, or just have fun publishing apps on Google Play marketplace
- The first-principle introduction to Kotlin through Android, to start building easy-to-use apps
- Learn by example and build four real-world apps and dozens of mini-apps
Android is the most popular mobile operating system in the world and Kotlin has been declared by Google as a first-class programming language to build Android apps. With the imminent arrival of the most anticipated Android update, Android 10 (Q), this book gets you started building apps compatible with the latest version of Android.
It adopts a project-style approach, where we focus on teaching the fundamentals of Android app development and the essentials of Kotlin by building three real-world apps and more than a dozen mini-apps. The book begins by giving you a strong grasp of how Kotlin and Android work together before gradually moving onto exploring the various Android APIs for building stunning apps for Android with ease. You will learn to make your apps more presentable using different layouts. You will dive deep into Kotlin programming concepts such as variables, functions, data structures, Object-Oriented code, and how to connect your Kotlin code to the UI. You will learn to add multilingual text so that your app is accessible to millions of more potential users. You will learn how animation, graphics, and sound effects work and are implemented in your Android app.
By the end of the book, you will have sound knowledge about significant Kotlin programming concepts and start building your own fully featured Android apps.
What you will learn
- Learn how Kotlin and Android work together
- Build a graphical drawing app using Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) principles
- Build beautiful, practical layouts using ScrollView, RecyclerView, NavigationView, ViewPager and CardView
- Write Kotlin code to manage an apps' data using different strategies including JSON and the built-in Android SQLite database
- Add user interaction, data captures, sound, and animation to your apps
- Implement dialog boxes to capture input from the user
- Build a simple database app that sorts and stores the user's data
Who this book is for
This book is for people who are new to Kotlin, Android and want to develop Android apps.It also acts as a refresher for those who have some experience in programming with Android and Kotlin.
Founded in 2004 in Birmingham, UK, Packt's mission is to help the world put software to work in new ways, through the delivery of effective learning and information services to IT professionals.
Working towards that vision, we have published over 6,500 books and videos so far, providing IT professionals with the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done - whether that's specific learning on an emerging technology or optimizing key skills in more established tools.
As part of our mission, we have also awarded over $1,000,000 through our Open Source Project Royalty scheme, helping numerous projects become household names along the way.
Our students work
with the Best
Become a valued member of Tutorials Point and enjoy unlimited access to our vast library of top-rated Video CoursesSubscribe now
Master prominent technologies at full length and become a valued certified professional.Explore Now